Backup service will not start. Hardware problem? RRS feed

• Question

•  

WHS backed up my network once, then the backup service died.  This has happened three times.  The first time I did a repair reinstall, after that I did reinstalls.

I have only about the minimum system requirements, and I wonder if this could be the problem:  1 ghz cpu and 1/2 gig of ram.  I also have a new 250 gig IDE drive and a new 750 gig USB WD drive I bought just for WHS

After the successful backups, the console reported my USB drives were unhealthy.  I ran the WD detail utilities and it said the drive was fine.  I did a low level format and retried:  same result.  I doubt the problem is the drive.

However, I was still able to use remote access (although it was very slow) and printer sharing with sthe WHS, and share folders and other functions.  Furthermore, others apparently are having success with WHS and I would like to be one of those.  I am considering upgrading the remaining hardware, as that seems like the main negative thing about my system.

Do you think a server motherboard with 2 gig of ram would offer a huge improvement and backup service success?  Or what kind of hardware would offer near optimum performance?

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:20 AM

Answers

• Hi, You should be able to run on that hardware. However, USB drives are problematic as some of them have power saving settings built-in, as does the motherboard. You need to disable any power saving settings on the motherboard for a start, usually available via the Device Manager - Hardware tab. Then, if the USB drive is anything other than just a plain drive in a USB case, then check for any settings there. Some of the pre-built ones have some settings built in that don't work well with a server.

Also, if you have the option, I would change the drives round and have the largest drive as your system disk.

Colin 

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:12 PM

All replies

• Hi, You should be able to run on that hardware. However, USB drives are problematic as some of them have power saving settings built-in, as does the motherboard. You need to disable any power saving settings on the motherboard for a start, usually available via the Device Manager - Hardware tab. Then, if the USB drive is anything other than just a plain drive in a USB case, then check for any settings there. Some of the pre-built ones have some settings built in that don't work well with a server.

Also, if you have the option, I would change the drives round and have the largest drive as your system disk.

Colin 

Saturday, December 15, 2007 12:12 PM
  • Yes, the power settings inside the computer were OK, so that was not the problem.  But when I disconnected the WD Essential MyBook Drive, and restarted the server and also my console, and deleted my backups, then I was able to start the backup service again.  Let's see if it stays running!

I do not know if I have to give up on the MyBook USB drive or not.  I did not realize it had much of a "brain."  I guess it would be less problematic if I could exchange that USB drive for a second internal drive.  Maybe faster too.

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 2:58 AM
  • If you can fit another internal drive, in theory you would have a faster machine; or at least, you would reduce the possibility of bottlenecks. If you stay with the USB drives (plural,) you could look to just standard drives in a bog-standard case. Also, try to keep each drive on a separate USB Host Controller, to reduce that bottleneck.

Colin

Tuesday, December 18, 2007 6:11 PM