"Upgrade" from Windows Home Server to any other version of windows RRS feed

• Question

• I have been trying to support a small office's Windows Home Server for a few months now. They purchased it last Fall and it doesn't do what they need it to. The only things it needs to do are function as a file server storing a copy of the office's files on one of it's two hard drives and periodically backup to the other hard drive. It should also be a storage center for differential backups of all the workstations around the office. And it should provide some kind of backups of older files in case someone overwrites a file on the server and it needs to be restored to a prior copy (It may not be noticed for a few weeks so it should keep old versions for a few weeks, VSS should be just fine with an appropriate backup routine).

From what I can tell Home Server is unable to do any of these things. The built in backup utility on Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 should be able to handle all of these tasks just fine. I am trying to find a legal upgrade path to one of those two versions of Windows to offer the office. Can anyone advise on a legal upgrade path from Home Server to either Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?

Saturday, February 19, 2011 5:28 AM

All replies

• > Can anyone advise on a legal upgrade path from Home Server to either Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?

There isn't any upgrade path from WHS.

Have a nice day!
    Saturday, February 19, 2011 3:21 PM
  • Are you administering the Home Server through the WHS console? 

Do all of the client PC's have the Windows Home Server connector software installed? (I think it's a maximum of 10 clients supported)

If you've got all of the users setup as users on the home server, and have the connector software installed on all of the PC's in the office then it should do everything you are expecting it to. 

The connector software takes care of performing daily backups. 

In the Settings tab / Backup - in the console you can control the number of months to keep the monthly backup, number of weeks to keep the weekly backup, and number of days to keep the daily backup.

In the Shared Folder configuration tab of the home server console you would turn duplication ON for the folder you want duplicated (the folder called Public is probably the best one to use in your situation)

Once you've got all of the users setup with access, and the connector software installed the last thing to do is connect to the shared folder \\server\public  (or map that folder to a drive letter on each of the client PC's)

If you've only got 2 drives, then the maximum amount of storage you can duplicate is equal to the partition size of the second partition of the system drive.  If you've got 3 drives (500gb system disk, and 2 1tb drives, then the maximum amount you can duplicate is 1tb)

Sunday, February 20, 2011 5:19 PM
  • I have been trying to support a small office's Windows Home Server for a few months now. They purchased it last Fall and it doesn't do what they need it to. The only things it needs to do are function as a file server storing a copy of the office's files on one of it's two hard drives and periodically backup to the other hard drive. It should also be a storage center for differential backups of all the workstations around the office. And it should provide some kind of backups of older files in case someone overwrites a file on the server and it needs to be restored to a prior copy (It may not be noticed for a few weeks so it should keep old versions for a few weeks, VSS should be just fine with an appropriate backup routine).

From what I can tell Home Server is unable to do any of these things. The built in backup utility on Windows 7 or in Windows Server 2008 should be able to handle all of these tasks just fine. I am trying to find a legal upgrade path to one of those two versions of Windows to offer the office. Can anyone advise on a legal upgrade path from Home Server to either Windows 7 or Windows Server 2008?

WHS can do all these things, it's just a matter of proper configuration. The only thing it doesn't do is automatically run periodic backup of the data in the server shares to another (backup) disk if you want to use the built-in server backup. If you want to automate this have a look at Robocopy. VSS is somewhat crippled on WHS, and in some cases (OEM machines, media with PP1 included) VSS has been set to disabled, previous link on VSS also explains how to change this. If the server only uses a single disk for system and data storage (the second disk being configured as backup disk) there should be no issue with VSS.

Please note, VSS may NOT retain data up to a few weeks; based on amount of assigned storage and available space you could easily end-up with only a few or even 0 previous version.

As for upgrade path, Leen is right, NO upgrade possible from WHS v1.

Henk Panneman - http://www.homeserverweb.nl
    Monday, February 21, 2011 4:14 PM