winss & msmpeng = slow XP shutdown RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having a problem where XP Pro SP3 takes a long time saving user settings on shutdown (restart)... Microsoft's UPHClean 1.6.30.0 reports in Event Log that it remapped winss.exe (2.5.2900.3) & msmpeng.exe (1.5.1955.0) "because they were preventing the profile from unloading successfully." Disabling the UPHClean service makes the delay worse (longer), and shutting down the 2 processes with Task Mgr berfore shutdown solves the problem. The UPHClean, Event Properties also reports:

MsMpEng.exe (1456)
      HKCU\Software\Classes (0x4ac)
      HKCU (0x504)

winss.exe (1636)
      HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\PhishingFilter (0x840)

Are there any other file versions, suggestions, fixes etc. that I could try?

Thanks,

Mike

Monday, September 1, 2008 3:00 PM

Answers

All replies

• If you are using OneCare and not just Defender, please contact support for help:

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, September 4, 2008 2:24 PM
  • Thanks Steve,

I've been timing how long Saving Settings stays on screen during shutdown, & sent those figures (with the 2 files running & stopped) along with the error reports to support. I was hoping to get lucky and get one of those: "Oh Yeah - just have to do this" answers, but, such is life. ;-)

Thanks again,
    mike
    Saturday, September 6, 2008 7:28 PM
  • I'd be interested to learn if support was able to identify a problem and get it resolved for you - and what the cause was, of course.

-steve

Monday, September 8, 2008 5:46 PM