How to treat stock class conversion? RRS feed

• Question

• My broker changed some of stocks from an A class to a Y class.  I don't know how to handle this transaction in Money.  Removing shares from one class and adding them to another class makes me lose the transactions of the A class and starts the Y class to a new status.  Any suggestions?
    Friday, August 13, 2010 12:43 AM

Answers

• I answered my own question.  I got the hint from someone asking how to change a stock's name.  The answer pointed to a little known (to me and I've used Money for many-many years) menu.  Go to Portfolio and right click on the stock's name. Select "Investment Details" and from there you can change the symbol for the stock. After that add or remove the difference in shares from the stock on the date that the conversion was made.  (The new class may have have a different price and the amount of shares will change.  Take the difference and then add or remove shares depending on the gain or loss of shares.)

If you were like me, you might have removed the shares under the old class symbol and added shares to the new class symbol.  You will have to delete those transactions and then select "Work with investments" from the Portfolio view and delete the new class symbol/name.  Then you can make the detail change.

• Marked as answer by JimMorgan7 Friday, August 13, 2010 1:18 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:17 AM

All replies

• I answered my own question.  I got the hint from someone asking how to change a stock's name.  The answer pointed to a little known (to me and I've used Money for many-many years) menu.  Go to Portfolio and right click on the stock's name. Select "Investment Details" and from there you can change the symbol for the stock. After that add or remove the difference in shares from the stock on the date that the conversion was made.  (The new class may have have a different price and the amount of shares will change.  Take the difference and then add or remove shares depending on the gain or loss of shares.)

If you were like me, you might have removed the shares under the old class symbol and added shares to the new class symbol.  You will have to delete those transactions and then select "Work with investments" from the Portfolio view and delete the new class symbol/name.  Then you can make the detail change.

• Marked as answer by JimMorgan7 Friday, August 13, 2010 1:18 AM
    Friday, August 13, 2010 1:17 AM
  • I would have considered doing a split instead of the add- or remove-shares if the shares were in a taxable account.  You could post the ratio you are trying to achieve (newShares/oldShares) if wanted a suitable ratio.
    Saturday, August 14, 2010 5:41 PM