none
Keeps asking for password to be updated RRS feed

• Question

•  

Just updated to the OEM version and got all updates.  Everything seems to work but the tray icon is constantly asking me to update my password on one of the computer (the one connected by cable) the other is ok and does not ask fo an update.  I have re set all the user accounts as they were before the upgrade/reinstall and have manually reset the password on my computer and the WHS several times but it still asks to have them changed to match.  They do already.  If I just click on the tray icon I get the error message about the passwords not matching but if I right click and access the consol that way everything is ok.  I can access the console from the wireless computer by just clicking on the icon with the same user name and password as on the wired one.  I have deleted the original account and made a new one but still the WHS is asking for my password.  Help!

Running XP on all machines, one with problem is wired (cat6) to router others are wireless (one pc one laptop) both server and computers have been restarted.  Didn't have this problem with RC1 just since upgrading to OEM.  Would unistalling connector from the client and reistalling help clear it's password amnesia?  The password has been confirmed as the same on both the client and the server.  Client is set to automatic login as I am the only user on it, I turned it off and manually entered the password at login but the connector software is still asking "Your password is needed".  I installed the new connector software over the old RC1 version, it said it was uninstalling the old version during the upgrade install but maybe something was left behind that has confused it.  Also tried removing the account on the server and re-doing it after a reboot.  No change.  I think the problem is with the connector software.  I am running McAfee VirusScan 2008 for firewall and AV, WHS connector is "allowed" but that access may be the old RC1 version, it never asked to allow access for the new connector after OEM version was installed and that's odd as it should have seen the new version as a different program and asked for access premissions.  Think I'll check that when I get home.  Any help or advice would be appreciated, Thanks.

Thursday, October 18, 2007 1:18 AM

Answers

• Give this a shot, it worked for me:

On the client computer giving you the headaches launch the following from your Start > Run menu:

rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr

Then find the name of your WHS, highlight it and "Remove it".

Logoff, then back in, and update your password one final time through the WHS client.

If all goes well, it should resolve it.

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:07 AM

All replies

• Give this a shot, it worked for me:

On the client computer giving you the headaches launch the following from your Start > Run menu:

Logoff, then back in, and update your password one final time through the WHS client.

Friday, October 19, 2007 5:07 AM
  • Thanks dmxrob,

Works sweet and solves the problem!

Friday, October 19, 2007 1:46 PM
  • Same issue here after an OEM reinstall... could not figure it out at all. Tried several different deletes of profiles and computers, but no luck.  I think it stemmed from me trying to access my shares BEFORE it finished linking Console and the pc. I tried to open the shares and it asked for a password and I think that is where the issue came from.

Once I used the tip here and deleted the account and re logged on to the client....WHS did not even ask for me to do a final password update. So I think the two were conflicting. Your Tip Worked nice.

Pasted this info to a Notepad file for future reference.
    Sunday, November 11, 2007 2:03 PM
  • Bingo.  My issue was naming my WHS with the same machine name as the XP Pro machine that I previously used as my house server!

Monday, December 24, 2007 5:59 PM
  • I have the exact same issue, Im logged in but whs still wants to synch the passwords. I tried the rundll32.exe keymgr.dll, KRShowKeyMgr but my choice box was empty. ? is that normal? should other things be in there also? Maybe there is a simpler step i have not tried.Any other suggestions?
    Thursday, April 3, 2008 2:30 AM
  •  Robert L. Stinnett wrote:

Give this a shot, it worked for me:

Are you running the steps on the WHS machine or on the client computer?  This only works from the client side, that is where the key mix-up is.  Run it on the one that is being asked to sync key with the server.

Thursday, April 3, 2008 9:40 PM
  • Hi

I have this problem to, and I have not tried what all of you suggest...yet.
    But I don't have a password on my computer only on the WHS.
    ????
    What should I type in

Kind Regards
    Anders
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 8:49 AM
  • Hi Anders,
    start setting passwords for the user accounts on the PCs and the WHS. These should match.
    Password are the only protection against unauthorized access to data on the Windows Home Server shares.
    Without passwords also Remote Access via Internet is not possible.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Tuesday, October 21, 2008 9:48 AM
  • Great, thanks very much.  Been having this problem on wife's machine for past several days.  Tip worked great.
    Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:11 PM
  • I have just installed WHS on my server and I have Win 7 on my PC and I have the same problem. What I don't understand is what Client Password is the connection software looking for? I never had a Password on the Win 7 PC from the start! I don't get asked when connecting which user I am? Is this a similar process of loging on as with Win 2003 server? I am still getting to grips with WHS so be gentle with me!

Sould I try the above first to resolve my issue of Password error?

Saturday, September 4, 2010 10:08 AM
  • I have just installed WHS on my server and I have Win 7 on my PC and I have the same problem. What I don't understand is what Client Password is the connection software looking for? 
    It wants the password of the user account you created on your server.  If the username and password match between client and server, it will automatically allow access.  If not, you have to type in the credentials.  
    I never had a Password on the Win 7 PC from the start! I don't get asked when connecting which user I am? Is this a similar process of loging on as with Win 2003 server? I am still getting to grips with WHS so be gentle with me!

Sould I try the above first to resolve my issue of Password error?

It doesn't sound like your problem.  See if this FAQ helps.  If not, please start a new thread (instead of adding to one from 3 years ago and has already been marked as answered).

Saturday, September 4, 2010 4:08 PM