locked
CRM Client auto update, patch applies ok, then says still needs to be applied? RRS feed

  • Question

  • I've set up the auto client update and staged the patches on a web server internally.

     

    the Update Tool sees the patches upon Outlook start (or if run manually), then when choosing update the patch downloads and is installed successfully.  The problem is, that the Update program keeps finding the same patch (after the next reboot, outlook start, or Update Tool start) and then wants to install it again.  It keeps saying the patch is installed successfully, but apparently it never is.

    I need to roll out the patch to a lot of machines and this is really slowing me down.... Can anyone please help?

    Salada

    Thursday, May 6, 2010 6:44 AM

Answers

All replies

  • Hi Shaun,

    It sound strange but which UR do you have already ? I had the same problem on Vista/W7 computers and we had a UR6. Manually we had to install UR7 and later was fine.

    Here are the same information: http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2009/12/23/dynamics-crm-4-0-update-rollup-8-autoupdate-issue/


    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Marked as answer by Shaun2k Monday, May 17, 2010 11:33 PM
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 10:36 AM
  • I have the exact same problem in my office with UR9 on Windows 7. But it works like a charm at one of my customer's office. I have an opened case with Microsoft support... As soon as I get an answer, I'll let you know
    My blog : http://mscrmtools.blogspot.com

    All my tools on my new dedicated site: MSCRMTools Repository
    Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:05 AM
    Moderator
  • Well, I installed the clients on all the machines manually, but I used something like this:

    \\server\install\CRMClient\setupclient.exe /q /l "c:\clientinstalllog.txt" /p "\\server\install\CRMClient\client_i386_kb971782_1033.msp"

    So I had patched the install with UR7 right from the getgo using that method.

    The funny thing is, that if I was to manually run the installer (.exe) for UR7 on the machine, the machine believes that UR7 was never installed.  It's as if using the msp method fails to create the necessary registry entries, most specifically in Add/Remove.  And in fact, if I try to install UR10 for example, it tells me i need UR7 first, which is well, supposedly, already installed.  And just to add to that, the CRM Client Serviceability Version reg key is 4.0.7333.2138, which corresponds to UR7.  So it's like it is installed, but it isn't.  I think I've painted myself into a corner here by using the install script above...

    Thanks kgorczewski for the info, maybe I will have to bite the bullet and do things manually.  It's really going to be painful though and I was banking on avoiding it.  Tanguy T, I am eager to hear what MS have to say about the issue. Please post back when you find out.  If I try anything else in the meantime that works I'll post back and let you guys know.  Thanks for your replies.

    Shaun

     

    Thursday, May 6, 2010 11:00 PM
  • OK so I tried installing the Update Rollup 7 manually, and then staged the Rollup 10 patch on the web server.  kgorczewski, you were spot on.  It seems that by manually installing UR7, I can now use the Auto Update facility successfully.  Good tip.  Thanks!
    Monday, May 17, 2010 11:32 PM