Replacing the System Drive RRS feed

• Question

• OK, I have built my WHS using a new case (9 drive slots) and an older motherboard with 2 x 4 port Promise SATA cards.  I could not get the OpSys to install on a SATA drive on connected to the promise cards (just could not get the drivers to load).   So I had to connect a IDE drive to the MB and get going that way.   So, now I am sure the IDE drive is slowing down my system and I would like to swap the system drive to SATA.   From what I read here this may not be easy.  I was hoping I could clone the 80GB IDE to a 80GB SATA and just plug it in.  Has anyone done this successfully?   Any other ideas??   I now have 6 other SATA drives in the Server Storage giving me 3.7TB 98% full, I don’t want to have to start again!!!

Wednesday, December 24, 2008 2:31 AM

Answers

• It depends from the mass storage drivers, which you can supply during starting from DVD via floppy or USB stick, if you will be able to perform a server reinstall with an controller in SATA mode. (This is the same also for a mixed system reinstall - if setup does not detect all drives at runtime, a server reinstall may fail.)
    IDE as a slow down factor for WHS is usually overvalued (again it comes down to the drivers), since network performance and server memory are much more limiting or influencing.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by adamb2000 Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:45 AM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 5:05 AM

All replies

• It depends from the mass storage drivers, which you can supply during starting from DVD via floppy or USB stick, if you will be able to perform a server reinstall with an controller in SATA mode. (This is the same also for a mixed system reinstall - if setup does not detect all drives at runtime, a server reinstall may fail.)
    IDE as a slow down factor for WHS is usually overvalued (again it comes down to the drivers), since network performance and server memory are much more limiting or influencing.
    Olaf
    • Marked as answer by adamb2000 Saturday, December 27, 2008 12:45 AM
    Wednesday, December 24, 2008 5:05 AM
  • Hello,

I have a similar question... I have installed WHS on 4 x 500Gb SATA drives. I have a SCSI card installed for backups to a tape drive, and wanted to install a 80Gb SCSI disk on the same card - the idea being to install the C: on the SCSI and then have the D: pool all on the SATA's. Is it possible to have the system disk and the pool on two different volumes? if so, how would I do this? I would prefer to split C: and D: onto different disks

Is this possible, or am i going down the wrong track?

Jon
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:16 PM
  • Hi John,
    using the small disk as solely data drive may be partially possible (although unsupported) without data loss, if you can migrate eventually stored data on your current primary data drive off (mybe by uninstalling the November upgrade for WHS and using a tool like LZReallocator), pull this off and try a server reinstall with the condition having setup to detect the SCSI drive as primary boot drive.
    You can not be sure, that the D: drive, which is created automatically on the system disk, is not used for any data. With Power Pack 1 installed this happens at least only, if the space on the other disks gets narrow.
    Splitting the C: and D: volumes to different disks may be possible with some hacks, but is nothing which is supported or recommendable and is definitively something, which makes a server reinstall even more troublesome and may cause bad issues in context with any WHS updates.
    Olaf
    Thursday, January 1, 2009 6:49 PM
  • Olaf,

Thanks for your advice - you are right - future updates may mess up any hacks I do to get C: and D: on different drives. I think I will leave things as they are!

Kind Regards

Jon
    Friday, January 2, 2009 12:33 AM
  • Worse. Splitting C: and D: could potentially leave you with a server that you can't update.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 1:35 AM
  • I was able to do this today successfully.  I had an old 200GB Maxtor IDE hard drive as the system drive.  I used Norton Ghost to copy the entire drive onto a 250GB Western Digital SATA hard drive, extended the D: partition to fill the remaining space, and swapped it with the Maxtor.  It booted up without a problem (much faster too) and a scan of the disk shows everything is healthy.  The only minor problem is that the Home Server console still shows the system hard drive's name as the Maxtor, but the size is correct.  It appears to be just a cosmetic problem, so I'm willing to overlook it.
    Friday, January 2, 2009 2:56 AM
  • Hi Dan,
    I would assume, your problems are starting if you ever have to replace that Maxtor drive, because this still seems to be taken as physical reference for the ghosted volume. Or if you need to perform a server reinstall.
    Olaf
    Friday, January 2, 2009 5:43 AM