More than three computers RRS feed

• Question

•  

Can someone please tell me when/how I will be able to add more than three computers to my "circle," or even have one sign in for more than three computers?  This process, of allowing only three computers is bunk.  I have 7 family computers that I manage, and although I like the OneCare program, the cumbersome nature of having to sign in, then sign out, then sign in and then sign out again, and maybe sign in again is a real pain in the patooosky.

It's driving me away.  I'm not trying to cheat the system - - I'll pay for my licenses - - but I want ease of use.  Makes me want to let my computers go naked or sign up for a free antivirus.

I'm really not willing to pay $50 three times to have this hassle.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 6:01 AM

Answers

• I wish I could tell you when you can do this legitimately as it is an often requested feature for people with more than 3 PCs now that we have the Circle management in version 2.0.

By license, you can only have 3 PCs on a single subscription and each subscription is tied to a unique LiveID. You can't have more than one subscription per LiveID. At this point, you can have more than 3 PCs on a subscription, but not legally, and they may decide to enforce the license at any time at the server.

One possible workaround would be to create 2 additional subscriptions with 2 additional LiveIDs, either through online purchase or with 2 retail keys and activating a 4th and 5th PC with unique LiveIDs. Then uninstall OneCare from those PCs and reinstall and activate with your original LiveID for the first subscription on all of the PCs (up to your total of 9). You would legally have the licenses, but, as I noted, they may enforce the 3 PC limit at any time, so it may stop working which would mean that you would need to uninstall and reinstall on PCs 4 to 9 and reinstall and activate with the 2nd and 3rd subscription LiveIDs and lose the ability to have a single Circle.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:10 PM

All replies

• I wish I could tell you when you can do this legitimately as it is an often requested feature for people with more than 3 PCs now that we have the Circle management in version 2.0.

By license, you can only have 3 PCs on a single subscription and each subscription is tied to a unique LiveID. You can't have more than one subscription per LiveID. At this point, you can have more than 3 PCs on a subscription, but not legally, and they may decide to enforce the license at any time at the server.

One possible workaround would be to create 2 additional subscriptions with 2 additional LiveIDs, either through online purchase or with 2 retail keys and activating a 4th and 5th PC with unique LiveIDs. Then uninstall OneCare from those PCs and reinstall and activate with your original LiveID for the first subscription on all of the PCs (up to your total of 9). You would legally have the licenses, but, as I noted, they may enforce the 3 PC limit at any time, so it may stop working which would mean that you would need to uninstall and reinstall on PCs 4 to 9 and reinstall and activate with the 2nd and 3rd subscription LiveIDs and lose the ability to have a single Circle.

-steve

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 1:10 PM
  • I cannot believe I am the only person who finds this to be incredibly Byzantine and a complete waste of time. 

Thanks for the suggestions, I appreciate you taking the time.

It really frustrates me, however, to think that I am in the position of wanting to, and being willing to pay for the new licenses and being restricted by some rediculous coding issue limiting circles to three computers.  I don't know of any other program like this, and it makes my blood boil. 

This is not directed at you, again.  I appreciate your suggestions.

Wednesday, January 16, 2008 8:42 PM
  •  Tegler27 wrote:

restricted by some rediculous coding issue limiting circles to three computers. 

I know it wasn't at all directed at me. I also think it should be simpler than this and don't understand the delay if the feature was suggested in the past. However, I want to point out that it is a Billing/Account issue, not a programming issue on the OneCare developer side. I suspect that the delay is more due to be mired in Marketing and Legal things....not code.

-steve

Thursday, January 17, 2008 2:49 AM
  • Hi Stephen,

I have the same problem.  I love Onecare.  I manage 13 PC's.  I don't want to have 5 subsrriptions to log into.  I want to pay for the subsctiption for all the computers.  Can you bring this to someone's attention so they can correct this problem?  I am on this blog searching for an answer to this problem.

Thank for your help

Saturday, January 19, 2008 1:46 PM
  • To supplement what Steve has already stated, I believe the issue has more to do with [possibly arbitrary] decisions made within the LiveID system itself. We did hear something about this around the time the original 1.0 beta went live in mid-2006, but even then it was unclear if the reason was technical or an arbitrary idea of how many computers home users might have.

In any case, there was specific discussion of this during the 2.0 beta and there was an indication by those responsible for the OneCare Circle feature that larger groupings had been discussed. However, it was also made clear that this would not occur in the 2.0 release. I'd guess there will need to be some study of the OC Circle feature in actual operation to determine the scalability in real life networks like yours.

Hopefully this means it will be high on the list for the next major beta and release, though we can't guarantee it.

OneCareBear

Saturday, January 19, 2008 4:07 PM
  • I would like to also request that this feature be added to onecare. Regards

Mark

Monday, January 21, 2008 4:04 AM
  • I have paid for and OWN 2 tokens.  Bought at a local Best Buy.  So it's not that I WOULD pay for them, I have paid for them.  I have 6 machines that I manage at home. (My LT, Wife’s LT, Daughters PC, Office PC, Family PC, Dev/Experiment PC) 

I am also a systems analyst with a MSDN subscription and working with over 600 Windows desktops and 23 Servers in one company.

I know MS knows how to 'add' licenses to an ACCOUNT, they do it all the time for my company. 

If I need another 20 licenses for WORD, I pay, a nifty little document is mailed out and My account shows an additional 20 Licenses. 

So the problem is that accounting didn't think that anyone had more than 3 PC's and is using the (Guilty until paid innocent) approach toward customers. 

Will there be a BUSINESS class license ? 

We use Norton’s on our 600 machines, I think Live CareOne is better but I can not imagine having to keep track of 200 accounts.

-Mike

Thursday, January 24, 2008 4:31 PM
  • The Billing system for OneCare is very different from the Enterprise Licensing area that you are dealing with at work. However, this capability for more than 3 PCs on a subscription is much anticipated.

The sister product for OneCare, using the same engine, but with Enterprise licensing and management capabilities is Forefront. - 

http://www.microsoft.com/forefront/default.mspx

-steve

Thursday, January 24, 2008 6:11 PM
  • I also am trying to manage 6 computers, but it is mostly for family & friends that aren't as computer literate as myself.  Exactly the type of people you are trying to target Windows Live OneCare for. 

All these people only have one PC and are NOT willing to shell out the $50 a year. 

I really like OneCare and have helped promote your product by helping these people install it on their PC's.  So currently I'm being Mr. nice guy to them and am managing 2 subscriptions amongst these 6 computers (2 being my own). 

If you were to simply offer a one computer subscription for $20 I would be off the hook with trying to manage these family & friends computers.  They would simply sign up with their own accounts and credit cards and manage their own.

This whole subscription thing would be a whole lot easier if you were to just allow for a single computer subscription, but  to allow additional computers to be added or removed from that subscription.

Example: 1 computer $20 , 2 computers $35, 3 computers $50 etc....

This would be even more convenient now with version 2 and the whole hub / OneCare Circle concept. 

The absolute perfect scenario for me would be for these family and friends to manage their own subscriptions, but to allow me to monitor their status via the OneCare circle.  Kind of the same concept as Windows Messenger allowing you to see if a person is on-line or not.

Please consider these enhancements.

Friday, January 25, 2008 4:30 AM
  • I also just ran into this issue.  I had used up my 3 computers and for the remaining 3 computers (I have 6) I have been running avg free and windows defender. 

I have decided that this is just not exceptable.  So I figured I will buy another license and just add it to my live id.  So I bought a retail box of onecare 2.0 from newegg.

I figured I would install the trial while I was waiting for it to come to my house.

I figured that once I got the retail box I could just add that license to my account and it would be done with. 

So I logged into my account through the computer that I put the trial on ... and it activated.  I was so confused ... I was like WHA? why would it activated I thought I only had 3 pcs.  Then I read this post and it all made sense.

So I guess I will be holding on to my onecare retail package and just using onecare on all 3 computers without it being activated properly until they fix this issue.  Because I should be able to just activate my 6 pcs under my one live id. 

I refuse to try and manager more than one live id.  I have been using the same live id since they invented microsoft passport.

Hopefully this gets resolved soon...I work for a major computer servicer in the midwest (us) and onecare is the only package I recommend.  This is the only annoyance I have ever encourtered while using it since it came out. 
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 12:13 AM
  • It is annoying. I can't guarantee that the 3 PC limit won't be enforced before the ability to purchase additional licenses on a single LiveID, but you can technically have all 6 PCs activated with the same LiveID. Since you have the second boxed copy, you can put it aside and use it to activate a second subscription in the event that the limit is enforced. However, I would recommend that you not use that key to renew for another 12 months on the current subscription as you would be in violation of the agreement for that subscription.

-steve

Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:03 AM
  • Issue such as this are exactly what make user switch to the competition.  I know mcafee has the ability to buy individual licenses on top of the 3pc limit to whatever you need.  I stand by onecare because I think it is the best virus protection.

How can you enforce something that can't be done the correct way.  I don't think users should be required to have to remember multiple live ID's just to use more than 3 pcs.  The issue is that If I create an extra live id in the mean time as a work around ... when the time comes and this issue is rectified I won't be able to delete that live id account.  I can't stand making accounts and then just leaving them floating the internet.  I like to properly manage all my accounts and know what I have out there.  If there is a way to delete a live id account without having to sit on hold with microsoft for 2 hours ... then I would consider it.

But in reality you should be able to add as many pcs to a single live id as you want ... and also use retail keys to do so. 

There is no timeline on when this flub is going to be fixed ... considering all the competition has included this in their 2008 versions of their antivirus suites. 
    Saturday, March 8, 2008 4:11 PM
  • I don't disagree with you, as you probably already know, except that I call it an oversight or ommission, not a "flub." :-) And, as I've noted before, I suspect that it is more a function of Billing than product. I am hopeful that the introduction of OneCare for Server in the latter half of 2008 will also bring a change to this area.

-steve

Monday, March 10, 2008 6:08 PM
  •  Stephen Boots wrote:

I don't disagree with you, as you probably already know, except that I call it an oversight or ommission, not a "flub." :-) And, as I've noted before, I suspect that it is more a function of Billing than product. I am hopeful that the introduction of OneCare for Server in the latter half of 2008 will also bring a change to this area.

-steve

Sorry for being so ... frustrated with all of this.

I am computer technician ... and because of having so many computers ... it just makes managing these a pain in the butt when it doesn't need to be.  Like you said it is more so a function of billing than anything.  Hopefully, like you said eventually we will be able to make this work easily soon.  Because you would think microsoft would encourage people to buy as many subscriptions to their antivirus as possible.  Because honestly I tried using the others out there are ... and they just stink in comparison to onecare.  I've been using onecare for over a year now and I would never go back.

But yes ... more so an omission. 

Another thing that would be awesome is if they would integrate file transfering and messaging between computers in your circle.  Also if somehow it could work with remote desktop ... so you could fix an issue with a computer in your circle without being ... like run windows updates on it.  

One can hope...
    Thursday, March 13, 2008 11:53 PM
  • I know what you mean in many ways. I've got quite a few PCs here at home and keeping track of what is what can be painful!

Yes, I remain hopeful that the status of this will indeed change.

I do believe that there are plans to enhance what can be fixed/done remotely from the Hub. I'm not sure I'd go with Remote Desktop, but imagine that you can change any settings on the Circle PCs (for OneCare) and perform any OneCare action on any Circle PC from the hub. I think that's the direction that OneCare is headed. When or for sure, I don't know - that is speculation on my part. :-)

-steve

Friday, March 14, 2008 1:44 AM