WHS backup RRS feed

• Question

• I know we WHS users have been around the block regarding backing up computers to WHS.  

My biggest complaint is this:

I understand that WHS makes an image of the C drive on a computer which you can use to restore a failing hard drive.   My problem is I have a couple of computers in my home in various rooms, my house is not wired with CAT5 (most homes are not), I don't use wireless to connect all of my computers to the router, then it appears backing up to the WHS is pointless.  It will take a day and then some to completely backup one computer. 

What is the "other" solution to backing up all of my computers to the WHS?  It doesn't appear feasible to use my "network" to complete this task.   There has to be an easier way to backup all home computers to WHS without it taking two days to complete.

Any suggestions?

Saturday, October 8, 2011 4:46 PM

All replies

• My problem is I have a couple of computers in my home in various rooms, my house is not wired with CAT5 (most homes are not), I don't use wireless to connect all of my computers to the router, then it appears backing up to the WHS is pointless.  It will take a day and then some to completely backup one computer. 
    If you don't use wired or wireless, what do you use to network your computers?

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 5:29 PM
  • Thanks for the response.  I am not a big fan of buying wireless cards for all of my computers in the home.  I use Netgear Powerline adapters to connect everything .  Yes, I am aware of the downside of using this method as oppose to using wireless or even wired.  I do have wireless at home but Powerline serves my needs for the time. 

My question is if I backup my computers to an external hard drive then connect the EHD to WHS, can I copy the data to WHS? 

Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:03 PM
  • To your last suggestion - "No", if you want to use WHS functionality. You could for example use something like Windows 7 Backup and Restore (or similar software) to backup to the external HDD and then copy that to the Server for storage, however you are missing out on your systems being backed up on a regular schedule which WHS provides.

Alternatively, what I would suggest is to back up each of your individual computers by connecting directly to your Server via a router/switch. The initial backup is the one that takes the most time as it has to copy the most data, subsequent backups will be much quicker and is probably feasible with Powerline (not tried it myself). Backing up a second computer for the first time should be quicker than the first as there will be common data sectors between the two (OS elements for example) which WHS understands and does not back up twice.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Saturday, October 8, 2011 10:27 PM