Reinstall Issue RRS feed

• Question

• I have had v2 loaded for a few months. It was running fine. I then added another drive to the storage pool. Well, after that it seemed to crash every couple of days. So after a month of THAT, I decided last night to reinstall it figuring everything would be "fresh" again. Well, now I have a bigger issue in that the install bombs every time inflating the Windows files. I got a few BSODs even. There is an error log but I see nothing in it that would help me figure it out.

So, my question is what do I do now with it? I was going to boot up with something to reformat the drives. My thinking was that something is still on them preventing it from installing? But, the FIRST time I installed I saw a message stating the the drives were wiped so...I am at a loss now.

Any ideas? Or do I just wait for V3? LOL!

Thanks!

Thursday, December 9, 2010 3:15 PM

All replies

• Well, I found another thread where somebody said to recut a new install ISO which I did do..AND I got *almost* to the end and...BSOD again. The other thing the guy mentioned was to remove some RAM? Not sure why or what that would accomplish but, at this point I will give it a try....
    Friday, December 10, 2010 1:43 PM
  • Well, I found another thread where somebody said to recut a new install ISO which I did do..AND I got *almost* to the end and...BSOD again. The other thing the guy mentioned was to remove some RAM? Not sure why or what that would accomplish but, at this point I will give it a try....
    It might be your DVD drive is having issues.  Did the second install DVD get further than the first?
    Friday, December 10, 2010 8:51 PM
  • Yes it did...but, I think the DVD copy was over at that point. It had rebooting and was doing the final steps...I am going to take out 2G of RAM and disconnect the second HD to see if that gets it.

BUT, before that, I re-redownloaded the DVD using the MS Downloader. I think the first two times I just saved it directly.

Thanks for the reply Kariya21!

Friday, December 10, 2010 9:11 PM
  • Well, I guess I am done now..I booted into Knoppix, wiped out all the partitions, and it still won't load. I pulled out the secondary HD, still no go. So now I am at a loss as to what to do...I have 3G on a decent machine sitting there so...I guess I will wait for refresh 3.0 and in the meantime will look at the Amahi stuff...
    Monday, December 13, 2010 1:47 PM
  • Does the BSOD stay up long enough for you to write down what it says?  is it a 0x000007b error or similar?
    Tuesday, December 14, 2010 10:14 PM
  • APG, I will try to see if I can get it tonight. Thanks for the reply. I read where a new refresh is supposedly coming out in Janurary. Hopefully if I can't get this to go, v 3.0 will install. And I still have not tried to take out some RAM to see if that will do anything.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:05 PM
  • I'm gonna chime in and say that if it worked before and now having issues it is probably a hardware issue.  I'm guess ram, psu, cpu, or motherboard.
    athlon 3400, 2gb ram, 7 drives totaling about 6.5 tbs.
    Wednesday, December 15, 2010 9:40 PM
  • Well I hear ya BUT, it's a relatively new machine and as I said the only thing I did was add ram and a second disk. I tried WITHOUT the second disk and got the same thing. So I will give it a try taking out the RAM I added afterwards too.

Thanks again....

Thursday, December 16, 2010 8:07 PM
  • I dismissed bad RAM on a new system with Vail. Other OSs worked fine with the bad memory and once I even got Vail to install but it wasn't reliable.

I used the Microsoft's self booting memory check disk and it reported bad memory. I found some other memory checkers that identified bad memory when the advanced patterns were used for the check.

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/windiag.asp

Sunday, December 19, 2010 11:03 PM