hard drive crash on laptop (cd key and instal disk on partition) RRS feed

• Question

•  

i have a laptop and my hard drive has crashed.  When i bought my plackard bell laptop i didnt receive a cd key or a windows instalation disk.

so... i downloaded a copy of windows xp from the internet and used a volume lincense key which is of course blocked.

i dont want to pay £80 and i would like to receive updates, i have put up with it for a long time now but i am getting software problems and i need certain updates but i cant pass the genuine windows thing.

is there anything i can do or have i been shafted

Thursday, February 8, 2007 12:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You should have a recovery CD from Packard Bell so you can install again XP.  If you lost it too, call them and request for a recovery CD. 

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:05 PM

All replies

• Hi,

You should have a recovery CD from Packard Bell so you can install again XP.  If you lost it too, call them and request for a recovery CD. 

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:05 PM
  •  

My retailer said that all the files i needed to reinstall windows again were on the other partition and i just needed to press a particular key when windows starts.

the laptop i bought from them is also a refurbished model.

i will contact packard bell and post what they have told me,

thank you fro your prompt reply

Thursday, February 8, 2007 2:13 PM
  • They are maybe referring to Smart Restore on Packard Bell.  Give it a try so you can use Windows again.
    Friday, February 9, 2007 3:27 AM
  • almost every single person who has a laptop has bought it with windows xp.

why is microsoft worried about the pindrop in the ocean of people who have either built there own pc's or have upgraded their laptops to a newer version.

why do this  why

for what purpose does this serve

btw the previous person who replied failed to read that my hard drive crashed so there is no more smart restore

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:36 PM
  • yep i was right in my initial post

i was shafted

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:38 PM
  • Hello Ibrahimderby,

Your question is not Windows Genuine Advantage related. These Forums are for the porpose of supporting Windows Genuine Advantage and so your question is out of the scope for these forums.

I can direct you to the 'How to replace lost, broken, or missing Microsoft software or hardware' Article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326246/ for further assistance with your issue.

You can also find Packard Bell Support At http://packardbell.com/support.htm

Thank you,
    Darin Smith
    WGA Forum Program Manager

All Users: Please go to http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1255325&SiteID=25 before posting a question.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:56 PM
  • Ibrahimderby,

What did Packard Bell customer service tell you when you called to request a replacement Recovery CD?

Thursday, March 1, 2007 9:42 PM