question: it is bad/illegal using a non genuine windows? RRS feed

• Question

•  

first of all sorry for my bad english .

what  if we brought  this computer/windows/office with a "guy" and he installed a pirated windows /office copy  it seems, my question is, if i use this windows, is considered illegal to  you Microsoft?  so im making a crime of some sort  or something bad?.

so in other words i cant use this computer any more?  i cant even use Word to make homework ...

not even  surfing  the web??    

Tuesday, June 19, 2007 8:44 PM

Answers

• Christian Guerra,

Taking someone else's property without their permission is called "stealing."  In every human culture that I ever heard of, stealing is considered to be immoral and is not condoned.

Whether or not software piracy (stolen software) is illegal is a legal question that depends upon the laws of your locality.

If you have a computer, there is no need to use pirated software to run it.  There are many free Linux operating systems from which to choose that will run your computer, and there are several free programs that offer some of the functionality of Microsoft Office, such as Google Docs and Spreadsheets or Open Office.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:49 PM
  • Christian Guerra,

You don't have to run a pirated installation of XP if you can't afford a genuine copy of XP.

Have a look at this page for a list:  http://www.linux.org/dist/

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:43 PM
  • Christian Guerra,

As far as I know from reading the trade press, there are no major legal challenges of Linux coming from Microsoft.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:36 PM

All replies

• You need to use a "genuine" version of Microsoft Windows and Office in order to be "genuine".
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 1:43 AM
  • Christian Guerra,

Taking someone else's property without their permission is called "stealing."  In every human culture that I ever heard of, stealing is considered to be immoral and is not condoned.

Whether or not software piracy (stolen software) is illegal is a legal question that depends upon the laws of your locality.

If you have a computer, there is no need to use pirated software to run it.  There are many free Linux operating systems from which to choose that will run your computer, and there are several free programs that offer some of the functionality of Microsoft Office, such as Google Docs and Spreadsheets or Open Office.

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 4:49 PM
  • thank you.  but, anyways , i need to "access" those programs like Open office throught "Windows" isnt? and if i use Opera or some web program im accesing it throught Windows isnt that bad?
    Wednesday, June 20, 2007 6:23 PM
  • Christian Guerra,

You don't have to run a pirated installation of XP if you can't afford a genuine copy of XP.

Have a look at this page for a list:  http://www.linux.org/dist/

Wednesday, June 20, 2007 8:43 PM
  • ok thanks....lastly...  MS doesnt have anything against linux?(legally) is ok for them? i mean isnt some sort of "copy" of windows, or its ok?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 1:52 PM
  • Christian Guerra,

As far as I know from reading the trade press, there are no major legal challenges of Linux coming from Microsoft.

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 2:36 PM
  • thank you. bye
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 11:28 PM