Planning new build WHS 2011 with Raid 1 for OS and big Raid 5 for data RRS feed

All replies

• The radio case sounds interesting! A couple of comments on your proposal:

• I do not believe there is any need at all to put the OS on a RAID - it only complicates matters and adds nothing
    • I would increase the memory to 4GB for better performance
    • The 2100T is a gret processor for this type of project.
    • I see no provision for backing up the server.

Hope that helps

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:30 PM
  • Thanks very much!

Think I see your point on OS raid - just over engineering - could recover with installation disc and buying new HDD

Will take advice re ram too - thanks

Realise (i think) that the WHS 2011 back-up tool wont work with >2tb array...so was going to look at Cloudberry?

Mainly I like fixing computers
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:35 PM
  • It might be worth having a server backup just for the OS and if you need to recover using the installation disk, settings etc. See below:

Restore the server from a backup

This option assumes that you configured server backup and that the server backup completed successfully at least one time prior to the server failure. Bare metal restore (BMR) supports recovery of the system drives only from a previous server backup. Following a BMR, the server is returned to the state that existed at the time of the backup that is used for the restore. This is typically the most recent backup, but in some cases it may be an earlier backup. Data recovery is done by using the Restore Files and Folders wizard after the system is restored.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 12:52 PM
  • Thanks very much!

Think I see your point on OS raid - just over engineering - could recover with installation disc and buying new HDD

Will take advice re ram too - thanks

Realise (i think) that the WHS 2011 back-up tool wont work with >2tb array...so was going to look at Cloudberry?

The proposed hardware looks fine to me. The test will be whether you can get it all to work together; driver issues, hardware that's broken from the factory, etc. can all complicate home-built computers. Regarding the case, you may find ventilation to be a problem (though tube radios had heat issues as well, so there is some ventilation), so you'll probably have to add some case fans.

As for server backup: Forget the cloud. You can't afford it. For example, assume your storage pool is about 75% full. that's something like 6.8 TB of data. You'll be spending around $850/month on storage. And if your ISP caps your bandwidth, you'll either run out of bandwidth a little way into a restore, or pay huge overage charges. If your ISP doesn't cap your bandwidth, a restore will still take weeks (in the US, with 15 Mb/s downstream, figure a terabyte a week). So a restore is completely impractical.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, August 9, 2011 1:04 PM
  • Thanks very much - on drivers, gather I should try W7 64 bit drivers and have these to hand during installation? Have seen posts here/elsewhere with working RocketRaid arrays on WHS machines, so am hopeful it can be made to work. Presume I should install the OS before the array and check it is all working in a stable way like that before embarking on the array - that should help to narrow down any issues with broken hardware? Might also check the drives in another computer before trying to mount them on the HBA/ board controller?

Yes re heat - on my HTPC, I use the speaker grille (cloth) as a large air filter on the front (it's mounted with velcro so can be removed for cleaning periodically) and as you say there are big holes in the bottom of these cases to allow air in - and I have a 120mm fan mounted on the back, at the top - this is enough to keep my HTPC's i5 661 and three HDDs very cool -  will do something like that with the WHS?

On back-up - you are right, I definitely cant afford that! Will think further...! Thanks again

Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:19 AM
  • Yes - that makes more sense than using the installation disc - thanks again!
    Wednesday, August 10, 2011 8:20 AM