CRM Online and Office 365 need a PC to do emails? RRS feed

• Question

• We have Office 365 E3 and then CRM 2013 Online.  Am I correct that unless we use Outlook for email, that we have to use the email router to send/receive email?  Outlook works but I don't see how it could send workflow email etc.  I'm confused by this, since Microsoft promotes this all as a cloud service like Salesforce, but everywhere I read seems to say I need a physical PC running the email router, which seems really ancient to me?  

Is that correct though, that I'd need any old PC that's always online, or Amazon Ec2 type thing and then I have the email router software running on that which sends/receives all email that originates from CRM etc instead of Outlook?  Thanks!

Friday, January 3, 2014 10:46 PM

All replies

• Yes, you are right, CRM itself doesn't contain the ability to send email. You have to use Email router or Outlook client.

The workflow will use the email address who in the From field, so you need to configure the email router or Outlook for the From user email address.

Wilson

Monday, January 13, 2014 8:16 AM
  • CRM 2013 Exchange Server-Side sync is not yet supported for online deployments, so you do need an email router server for now. I'm hoping they fix that functionality soon, as it seems that CRM Online/O365 is the smartest place to use Server-Side Sync.

The postings on this site are solely my own and do not represent or constitute Hitachi Solutions' positions, views, strategies or opinions.

Monday, January 13, 2014 7:21 PM