Dynamics, Active Directory and Internet access RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I was recently accepted into Bizspark so am using MS software throughout my (one-man) start-up.

I'm running a small workgroup with a VMWare server hosting images for bug tracking, repository, file/print servers.

I started installing Dynamics but hit a few roadblocks. First up- I assume from the installation message and reading the Planning Guide that install without being in an AD Domain isn't possible?

Also, I will need to make Dynamics internet facing- something that again doesn't look straightforward from the Planning Guide. It talks of running the installer from the command line using an XML configuration file but doesn't give details. What is involved in this?

I'm fairly technically competent from a development background so am willing to go through a little pain to get it up but am considering bailing and going for a simpler CRM. What's your opinion- does my scenario of one user now and 5 by year end make Dynamics too overblown?

Thanks for your help & opinion.

Dan

Friday, January 9, 2009 6:21 PM

Answers

• If you want to incorporate Dynamicss into  your product offering then I would work through the install.  It shouldn't be too ownerous and many are able to successfully implement.  Do you have a Partner relationship with Microsoft?  If not, you might want to look into that as it will be very helpful to you.

Friday, January 9, 2009 10:29 PM

All replies

• Have you considered CRM Online.  You can purchase per seat, it is available online and integrates with Outlook.  Not sure if it meets all of your criteria with respect to your business model but it is very easy to get up and running.  Here is a link to more information.

http://crm.dynamics.com/

Friday, January 9, 2009 6:52 PM
  • Thanks for the reply. Yes I have considered the Online offerings and some do look good- even price competitive versus the salesforce.com fees.

I was however hoping to incorporate Dynamics in my product offering as an ISV later down the line, so having the client side experience would've been most helpful.

Can you recommend specific CRM Online service providers?

Friday, January 9, 2009 9:51 PM
  • If you want to incorporate Dynamicss into  your product offering then I would work through the install.  It shouldn't be too ownerous and many are able to successfully implement.  Do you have a Partner relationship with Microsoft?  If not, you might want to look into that as it will be very helpful to you.

Friday, January 9, 2009 10:29 PM
  • I believe for my company I'd be considered a partner through the Bizspark programme, so I'll try to get some support there.

Thanks for the replies.

Dan

Monday, January 12, 2009 6:04 PM