Dependent option set - Maintenance RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All , 

I want to build a solution to maintain CaseType and Case SubTYpe , values addition by End users them selves using seperate entities . 

Any Ideas are welcome . 

No Filter Look up approach , this approach will add extra navigation to entities . 

I am thinking of adding two entities Case Type and Case Sub Type . and have a relation ship between them and a plugin/automated process to add these values to Case Type and Case sub type option sets on Case . 

I want to know how we can build the dependent picklist java script dynamically .

Regards,

Kumar 

Wednesday, September 6, 2017 6:55 PM

Answers

• Hi All , 

I have made the solution for this issue . 

In case any one have similar requriement this will be helpful 

Solution :

Created two entities , Case type and Sub type , case type and subtype has the relationship . case type a relationship is added to team 

Case type Attributes :

Case Type ( Name ) 

Team - Look up to Team entity 

Option Value - to hold the option setvalue added to case type on case entity . 

Case Subtype Attributes 

Case subtype 

Option Value 

CaseType - Look up to Case type entity 

On Create of casetype/case subtype record , trigger a plugin to insert option set value in the case type of case entity and publish the changes . and update back the new option set value back to case type/Case sub type entity . 

On Case , i have created javascript to check login user team , and get the case type of that teams and bind the case type  values and on change of case type call similar function to get the case subtype to populate the case subtype values . 

Please let me know more details are required . 

Regards,

Kumar 

• Marked as answer by Anilkumar401 Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:56 PM

All replies

• Here's MSFT's example: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg594433.aspx

And there are others available online.

Thursday, September 7, 2017 2:05 AM
  • Hi,

Don't think its a good idea. That list will get unmanageable and un-reportable over time. (no different from a text field)

Better to assign a "power user" with permissions to add these option sets values. 

regards,

Don

Friday, September 8, 2017 1:37 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks , but still its only manageable by only IT guy , my intension of solution is business to have facility to add values in a entity that can be utilized in option set and  having dynamic script that can handle dependent option sets

Regards,

Kumar 

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 7:26 PM
  • Hello,

Just curious - why don't you want to use lookups instead of optionsets?

Dynamics CRM/Business Solutions MVP
    Read My blog

Tuesday, September 12, 2017 10:25 PM
  • HI ,

Lookups will create additional navigation , for which business did not want . 

Regards,

Kumar

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 8:14 PM
  • Kumar,

When you create lookup you can define show related record navigation on parent record or not - just choose "Not Show", publish - done.

Dynamics CRM/Business Solutions MVP
    Read My blog

Tuesday, September 26, 2017 9:37 PM
  • Hi All , 

I have made the solution for this issue . 

In case any one have similar requriement this will be helpful 

Solution :

Created two entities , Case type and Sub type , case type and subtype has the relationship . case type a relationship is added to team 

Case type Attributes :

Case Type ( Name ) 

Team - Look up to Team entity 

Option Value - to hold the option setvalue added to case type on case entity . 

Case Subtype Attributes 

Case subtype 

Option Value 

CaseType - Look up to Case type entity 

On Create of casetype/case subtype record , trigger a plugin to insert option set value in the case type of case entity and publish the changes . and update back the new option set value back to case type/Case sub type entity . 

On Case , i have created javascript to check login user team , and get the case type of that teams and bind the case type  values and on change of case type call similar function to get the case subtype to populate the case subtype values . 

Please let me know more details are required . 

Regards,

Kumar 

• Marked as answer by Anilkumar401 Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:56 PM
    Wednesday, November 1, 2017 8:56 PM