Back up of files on WHS RRS feed

• General discussion

• I really miss a backup function of files stored on WHS. Like your pst-files and or dokuments you store on the server
    Monday, June 25, 2007 4:12 PM

All replies

•  Tommy Nielsen wrote:
    I really miss a backup function of files stored on WHS. Like your pst-files and or dokuments you store on the server

WHS is designed as a simple/hassle-free system to backup users PCs within a home environment.  PCs are backed up automatically, or users can copy files to the UNC Shares and turn on duplication for shares individually.  With duplication turned on, all files within that share have a copy created on a different hard drive within the storage pool.  This allows the home users to backup entire systems, or provide additional levels of protection via duplication.

The next level of protection, backing up the entire WHS system, would be EXTREMELY cost prohibitive for most systems.  And if your system was small enough to allow for simple backup via a USB drive, then it would be easier to add that drive to the storage pool and use duplication to backup everything.

Monday, June 25, 2007 6:24 PM
  • I just can't agree with this. Duplication is not a backup. If you can't restore to a previous point in time, all you are doing is protecting yourself from hard drive failure. I can come up with 100 other ways to lose your data that don't involve a hard drive failing. Home server needs to have the ability to backup it's own shares. What's the point of having a file server that you have to copy the data to your PC's to be backed up. This is backwards. I might as well leave all the data on my local PC's. Then what is Windows Home Server? A glorified backup appliance.
    Sunday, July 15, 2007 7:08 PM
  • This is exactly my point.

Why store all your photos, mp3's and so on on the Home server and not being able to backup on a daily or weekly basis.

Then you might as well setup a XP- prof. pc as fileserver, there you at least have the option of making backup.

Monday, July 16, 2007 1:56 PM
  • Exactly!  I will have to set up an "extra" system to run my web sites, email and file/print server just so that I can have them backed up by WHS.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 7:42 PM
  • You can back up the shares on WHS, whenever you like. I use SyncToy to backup my shares.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 7:50 PM
  • And the shares are running Volume Shadow, so right-click any of the shares and all the previous versions are there if you need to go further back than the current file, so it's not just redundancy.
    Monday, July 16, 2007 11:13 PM
  • Many would view "protecting yourself from hard drive failure" as a pretty major plus point.

You can put your data where you like. On your PC and have it backed up to the server (which will almost certainly provide better performance on a decent workstation) or on the server and have the shares duplicated.

Almost certain is that someone will provide a WHS backup solution, which you can use if you want that extra security. For most of my files, and same for most punters I'll warrant, I just need the latest version. (Anything that I need versioning is in SourceSafe.)

Monday, July 16, 2007 11:20 PM
  • WHS is based on Windows SBS.  The functionality you desire is already there...

If you would like to configure backups, do the following:

RDP to your box or hookup monitor/key/mouse.

Goto start\all programs\accessories\system tools\backup

Follow the wizard.

Chose Backup selected files.

Select you files from My Network Places and select your shares - this will create UNC paths in the backup file.

Select system state from My Computer.

Next.

Select a place to save your backup (chose an external HD Drive mapping (E:\ etc)

Name the backup  - i.e. Server monthly backup

Next.

From the Completing Backup Wizard screen, chose the Advanced button.

Chose type of backup, differential.

Next.

Chose to verify or not.

Next.

Chose to append backups.

Next

Set backup schedule by choosing Later when asked when do you want to run the backup.

From the popup window set your schedule.  I recommend Monthly if you are using file duplication.

Schedule Task: monthly

Start Time: 2 AM (preferably sometime after your nightly PC backups finish)

Run on: first Sunday of the month.

OK

enter admin user/password for RUN AS

OK

Finish.

Create a reminder every month in your calendar schedule to hookup the HD on the last day of the month.

As you can see, this would be VERY easy to reduce down to a console tab and wizard with Red/Yellow/Green alerts.

Please MS, get this into the product ASAP. 

I also agree that mirroring is NOT a backup solution.  With 500 GB hard drives costing less than $200 this is an easy and cheap backup solution.  There is no reason for this to NOT be in WHS.  If a user choses to ignore backups, fine, but the functionality already exists.  We only need simple console access to it.

Can one of you tab gurus create this?  I think this would probably WIN the contest due to how critical backups are.

Ken Leach

aka fierrpawz

Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:19 PM
  •  

Just don't forget that just about ALL backup programs are deprecated by Microsoft and they recommend they shouldn't be used. Copying your Share Folders is not a problem - programs like SyncToy or Second Copy will  work just fine.

Colin

Saturday, August 4, 2007 4:54 PM
  • Bear in mind that this technique assumes that the initial full backup and all diffs will fit on a single device. My current production WHS will, because it doesn't contain everything I eventually plan to put on it once I have RTM software. But a number of testers have significantly more data on WHS than I do, up to multiple terabytes in some cases. They won't be able to do this.

Plus, as another poster has noted, Microsoft recommends against using backup/restore software because it tends to corrupt data during the restore process.
    Monday, August 6, 2007 2:53 AM
  • There really isn't any realistic backup hardware available at a price range that home users will accept. A LTO3 drive costs about $2500 and each 400/800GB tape costs about $50. (If you happen to be running a LTO drive at home you probably don't need WHS.)

Wednesday, August 8, 2007 3:32 AM
  • I backed up the whole server onto a ups drive, windows said 19 hours but the log only said 7.5. It also gives you a floppy drive to start it incase of complete failure. Suggest removing WHS from network and doing this at night.  I would strongly suggest doing it your way as this way you include your copies and backups and OS.

Roland

Monday, August 13, 2007 5:30 PM
  • So now we have the ability to backup the server to an external drive.  I really like this feature as my USB drive can power down when it's not in use and auto-on when the server initiates a backup.  Thanks Microsoft!

But why can't I schedule a backup like with the other computers?  Why treat it differently?  I should be able to configure which shares and types of files get backed up and set a regular schedule like Full Backups every weekend and Deltas every night.  And I'm happy with just backing up Shared Folders because all of my critical server files can fit many times over on my 250GB external drive.  I don't need to backup ripped DVDs or other recoverable stuff.  I just want my music, photos, and critical files that I can't recover without a backup.  Seriously, if my backups get too big for the drive, I can buy a bigger backup device.  I don't see backup size as being a problem for most Home Server users.
    • Edited by TM Girvin Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:11 PM
    Sunday, November 9, 2008 4:09 PM
  • I discovered a significant flaw in Server Backup. It does not backup the Backup DB! The Backup DB is critical data for disaster scenarios so I cannot imagine the rationale for omitting it from Server backups.

Real world example: last year, my basement got flooded and I lost data on two machines. I was greatly looking forward to WHS solving this for me in the future and I implemented the following best practice:

1. I put together a large USB drive: 2 1TB drives configured as BIG using an external USB enclosure -- ie. the drive looks like a single 2 TB drive to WHS). This cost me approx. $300 (2 drives + 1 enclosure) -- if anyone is interested, I can provide exact specs and links to where to purchase the components. This is very realistic for an unsophisticated user to do.

2. Use Server backup

3. Disconnect and store the USB drive in my safe-deposit box (ie. offsite)

Unfortunately, this best-practice does not work!!! Reason: the Backup DB is not backed up to the USB drive! So in a real disaster,  WHS will happily allow me to restore my Music/Photos, but not work-data I lost from my other PCs! Argh!

Please, please fix this in the next release.

Eshwar
    Friday, November 21, 2008 7:15 AM
  • Eshwar,

There is already the facility to backup your Backups to an external drive. The Add-In which does this can also enable duplication of Backups to another internal drive on your server plus has the facility to import the external drive backups onto your server if there is a server failure.

Colin

If anyone answers your query successfully, please mark it as 'Helpful', to guide other users.
    Friday, November 21, 2008 9:57 AM
  • Hi Colin,

Could you say what this Add-In is named?

This sounds like exaclty what I am looking for - an off-site disaster recovery snapshot of the WHS.

john
    Friday, November 28, 2008 1:19 PM
  • The add-in doesn't preserve the full state of the server. But search the forums for BDBB (Backup DataBase Backup).
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, November 28, 2008 4:40 PM