Problems with the Norton Firewall on WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Have NIS installed, but in order to log me on to WHS using Home Server Console, I have to disable the Personal Firewall option in NIS.

Why?
    And is there any way to work around this problem in the future?

If not, is there any other firewalls that would work smoothly with WHS? Not thinking of the integrayed firewall in Windows.
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:00 AM

Answers

• having done a very quick search on google for Windows Firewall and Error 170 there seems to be lots of posts talking about resources in use, so have a look at those, but it might be because you have something else running, such as NIS.

Andrew

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:21 AM

All replies

• I would guess this problem is primarily because as yet there are no supported WHS aware firewalls available and what you have installed on your WHS is not actually supported and is not WHS aware.

You might try contacting Norton support to see if they can advise you better.

Andrew

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:07 AM
  • Thanks,

So basically the integrated Windows Firewall is the only one that can be used then when logging onto the Console from my home computer? Meaning I have to disable it everytime....

On my WSH computer, I remember I had to disable the Windows Firewall for some reason I can't remember now. However, when trying to enable it, I get the message could not start the windows firewall/ICS on local computer.Error 170,the requested resource is in use.

What does this mean?
    Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:13 AM
  • No problem.

At the moment the integrated Windows Firewall is the only supported firewall for WHS, but I am sure that will change over time.

If you want to use NIS, and it works as long as you disable the firewall for console access, then yes, that is what you will have to do.

You shouldnt have had to disable with Windows Firewall at all. Was this before or after you installed NIS?

Im not sure what that error means, have you tried doing a search on the MS Support site or google?

Andrew

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:18 AM
  • having done a very quick search on google for Windows Firewall and Error 170 there seems to be lots of posts talking about resources in use, so have a look at those, but it might be because you have something else running, such as NIS.

Andrew

Sunday, March 9, 2008 11:21 AM