WHS Connector Upgrade - Installs but fails to configure backup RRS feed

• Question

• I have read through all the other threads on connector upgrade errors and still have no answer.

I have changed permissions on the WHS Windows/Temp folder; uninstalled/deleted folders and registry keys, reinstalled from server:55000; reinstalled from the software share, reinstalled from a local copy.

Each time the install works, shows green on 'joining windows home server' but then fails on 'configuring computer backup' with no way past this. It's not a network issue as I can ping/remote desktop the server.

The client is W7 Pro with all the latest windows updates. I have two other W7 Pro machines with no problems.

I have also deleted the computer from the server but that did't help.

I am considering uninstalling the server update from January but don't want to as the other two clients are working and backing up ok.

setup.exe is version 6.0.2430.0

WHSConnector.msi is version {598E2046-D555-4CFA-AAF5-8458478E613E} (07/10/2009)

Server:

Windows Home Server Console: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Backup & Restore: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Drive Extender: 6.0.2423.0
    Windows Home Server Remote Access: 6.0.3436.0
    Windows Home Server Storage Manager: 6.0.3039.0

Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:13 AM

Answers

• Ok, so I restored the client pc from a ghost image from 2010 prior to the update and then got the upgrade error again. I then checked and the version of the MSI installed in C:\WHS on the server was DIFFERENT to the version in the software share!!!

I ran this version and the pc is now backing up ok. I have no idea why the other clients are ok or why the file was not copied correctly when the patch was intalled but happy enough for now :-)

One question, on the server which files from C:\WHS should reside where?

Thanks

• Marked as answer by wheatism Monday, June 27, 2011 7:21 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:24 AM

All replies

• Ok, so I restored the client pc from a ghost image from 2010 prior to the update and then got the upgrade error again. I then checked and the version of the MSI installed in C:\WHS on the server was DIFFERENT to the version in the software share!!!

I ran this version and the pc is now backing up ok. I have no idea why the other clients are ok or why the file was not copied correctly when the patch was intalled but happy enough for now :-)

One question, on the server which files from C:\WHS should reside where?

Thanks

• Marked as answer by wheatism Monday, June 27, 2011 7:21 AM
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 8:24 AM
  • See this faq.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, June 26, 2011 1:33 PM