Redeployment Wizard Vs Command Line Install - CRM 3.0 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I need to install a test server in a domain where the production server already exists.
    Therefore I installed a new SQL Server (SQL 2005 SP3) + a Web Server (Windows 2003 Server SP2 on which I want to redeploy CRM).

I restored the databases on the SQL Server and I have some issues using CRM 3.0 Redeployment Wizard. The deployment process fails and there is the following error in the log file:  "An error occurred when populating Microsoft CRM user groups". The user who performs the install is a Domain Admin...

If anyone has an idea Please let me know.

But actually I wonder if I really need to use this tool.

=> Chapter 19 from CRM 3.0 Implementation Guide is "Use the Command Line to Install Microsoft CRM".
    It seems to behave like the Redeployment tools but it doesn't map the existing users (which I don't need since it is the same domain!)

So would it be possible not to use the deployment wizard and install CRM 3.0 from an existing Database using pre created security groups and a xml config file?

Thanks.
    Friday, February 5, 2010 6:48 PM

Answers

• If it is a test server, do you really need to map the users?  My guess is no since the users do not need to access the test server.  See if the redeployment will work without mapping users or install using the other method you found. 
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:10 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:24 PM

All replies

• It is possible to match Security groups during automated installation in Dynamics CRM 4.0. Check if this will be working in version 3.0: http://blogs.msdn.com/richaj/archive/2010/01/17/pre-created-custom-named-security-groups-anyone.aspx
    My Dynamics CRM Blog: http://bovoweb.blogspot.com
    • Proposed as answer by kgorczewski Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:54 PM
    Tuesday, February 9, 2010 4:26 PM
  • It is possible for CRM 3.0 as well.
    That is why I wonder if I really need to use the Deployment tool Wizard.... since it is in the same domain.

I am so frustrated I can't find anything on the support forums regarding my issue.
    The deployment tool still gives me "An error occurred when populating Microsoft CRM user groups. Ensure that CRM user accounts are accessible from the current domain and run the wizard again." whereas it properly creates the groups.

I don't understand why the CRM User accounts are not "accessible"...

Thanks.

Thursday, February 11, 2010 3:00 PM
  • If it is a test server, do you really need to map the users?  My guess is no since the users do not need to access the test server.  See if the redeployment will work without mapping users or install using the other method you found. 
    Best Regards | Twitter: edwardsdna
    • Proposed as answer by Donna EdwardsMVP Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:24 PM
    • Marked as answer by Jim Glass Jr Tuesday, February 23, 2010 6:10 PM
    Sunday, February 21, 2010 9:24 PM