CRM 4 Server Upgrade RRS feed

• Question

•  

We are upgrading our CRM 4 server to new hardware and OS (Windows 2008 64 bit) and SQL 2008 64 bit.  The domain remains the same and even the IP, we are just swapping hardware and repurposing the old machine.

From a clean install of the server, the CRM installer installs version 4.0.733.1219 which I assume is inclusive of the Rollup 1.  Our existing CRM server is 4.0.7333.1113 after the Rollup 1 was applied.    My problem is that I don't think I will be able to import the databases via the deployment manager since they show different versions.   

Is there anyway to get our existing server up to .1219 or is that a result of the specific hotfixes for CRM4 to work with SQL 2008??   Or will it just work?    

I tried to move a pre-rollup version of the databases unsuccesfully which prompted me to install the rollup, thinking it would match the versions.  

Anybody been through this type of change yet and could shed some light?

Monday, January 5, 2009 9:13 PM

Answers

• I would not install SQL 2008 on the new server, until you have haverything working!!!  Maybe it's just the upgrade process, but I still wouldn't take the chance.

You should be able to apply the rollup to both servers, but really forget about SQL Server 2008 till you get everything migrated over and running.

Withers
    Monday, January 5, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• I would not install SQL 2008 on the new server, until you have haverything working!!!  Maybe it's just the upgrade process, but I still wouldn't take the chance.

You should be able to apply the rollup to both servers, but really forget about SQL Server 2008 till you get everything migrated over and running.

Withers
    Monday, January 5, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Wow,  your totally right.   I guess I got a bit carried away with trying to install everything with upgraded software and totally got lost in the fact that I have to upgrade with SQL 2005 first... duh! 

Thanks again from someone who got too close to the forest(me!). 

Tuesday, January 6, 2009 3:20 AM