Motherboard crash RRS feed

• Question

• I have a HP computer that had Win XP Home pre-installed.  The motherboard crashed when I tried installing new memory (it wasn't seated right), and I bought a new motherboard (and a  new processor while I was at it).  Of course, Win XP won't start now.  It reboots and goes into safe mode, then tells me I need to verify in normal mode.

Questions:
    1. Do I have to purchase a new copy of the software, because it's a different CPU?  That doesn't seem fair.
    2. Assuming I'm able to validate, what now?  I have the system recovery disks from HP, but when I try to boot with them they tell me it's no longer an HP machine.  How do I re-install windows?
    Saturday, December 23, 2006 7:19 AM

Answers

All replies

• If you installed a non-HP motherboard, the HP recovery discs will no longer work since they must verify a HP motherboard BIOS that only exists on an HP motherboard.  You'll need to purchase a conventional "Full Version" of Windows XP, then perform a "repair install".

Changing a Motherboard or Moving a Hard Drive with XP Installed
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/moving_xp.html

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Saturday, December 23, 2006 3:46 PM
  • Matt1,

Your HP Recovery CDs are designed to work ONLY on an HP motherboard.

The OEM license for XP that came with the computer is still valid, however, because the motherboard was replaced because it became defective.

Since you decided to use a non-HP motherboard as a replacement for the original defective motherboard, you will not be able to use the HP Recovery CDs to install the OEM license for XP that is still valid.

The solution is to borrow (DO NOT use a downloaded copy as these are known to be infected with spyware, rootkits, and viruses) a genuine Microsoft OEM systembuilder XP CDROM from a friend or relative, install XP on your computer using this CD and the Product Key on the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to your computer (NOT the PK that came with the CD), then instead of an automatic activation, do a telephonic activation.

Saturday, December 23, 2006 4:28 PM