Network Connector Bridging RRS feed

• Question

• This is a fine product. But seeing as it is based on the Server 2003 codebase, what else could one expect !

I have an issue regarding bridging network 10/100 cards.

I have built my machine on an ASUS Nvidia Nforce 4 chipset mainboard. Under Windows Xp and Windows Vista  the onboard network controller operates at10/100/1000 speeds. Under Server 2003 it shows as 10/100. This is a driver issue (?) so am not too concerned.

As my previous Windows Xp x64 Edition installed server was a busy little chappie, I also installed 2 other network cards and bridged the connections to relieve the strain.

Under WHS I am showing all 3 network connectors as driver installed and all working fine, but the server is only connecting to the network using a single connector at 100Mbps.  Bridging appears to be disabled.

Were this operating in a domain I could appreciate the necessity of this. But as most home users will be running this software in Workgroup mode, is there any way of enabling the bridging facility.

Seeing as WHS is a new flavour of Windows Server 2003 SBE (?) and not a  typical install of SBE, I have not wanted to go poking around too much at this early stage.

Usually I would consider changing the roles of the server to suit the required functionality. Then use Policy edit to dis/enable various aspects to open or lock what was needed.

Is there a clear way to set up bridging, as once in full operational mode, a single 10/100 @ 100 connection will not be enough.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 2:49 PM

Answers

• Windows Home Server only operates on one subnet.  Bridging (I believe) will create different subnets.  Windows Home Server is only supported with 1 network interface card (NIC).  You will have to disable or remove the other NIC's.  I recommend getting a 10/100/1000 card for your Windows Home Server to increase your network speed.  You will also need a switch that connects at 10/100/1000 too.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 1:40 AM

All replies

• Instead of installing 2 more 10/100 nic's + one on the motherboard, install one 1000/100/10 nic and disable the motherboard nic. At least until you find the proper driver for it.

Vince

Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:21 PM
  • Thanks for the info.

However, the driver for the onboard NIC is the official one from NVIDIA,  and WHS should surely utilise the hardware it has found on build??

All 3 NIC's have a driver installed and WHS can see them, both in hardware manager and in network connections.

No error state is being reported at any stage.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:07 PM
  • Windows Home Server only operates on one subnet.  Bridging (I believe) will create different subnets.  Windows Home Server is only supported with 1 network interface card (NIC).  You will have to disable or remove the other NIC's.  I recommend getting a 10/100/1000 card for your Windows Home Server to increase your network speed.  You will also need a switch that connects at 10/100/1000 too.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 1:40 AM
  • Many thanks for the info.
    Friday, February 23, 2007 11:02 AM