Everyone, just calm down.. RRS feed

• General discussion

• For the last 18 hours or so, I've been going crazy trying to figure out what I did to un-validate my Vista Home Premium.  I finally tried this board and find lots of other people in the same boat.  Clearly this is a bug, and clearly they're aware of it.  I thought my problem was related to a small hardware installation (memory card reader), but now I see that it was just bad timing and that nothing I did caused this.  Clearly the problem occured with the update on the 24th..  The only things I see different are the nag screen, the message in the corner and Aero isn't working.  That's not stopping me from doing anything.  Everyone just needs to stop screaming for a fix, settle down and be a little patient.  You know it'll be fixed, you know there will be a new update up sometime in the very near future (I'd estimate 2-3 days, probably less)..

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:51 PM

All replies

• I'm not really sure what else is disabled, but Direct3D, at the least is disabled. For someone who does Graphics Development, this is quite stopping me from doing what I do.

Nonetheless, no reason to freak out completely.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:55 PM
  • I've not seem any direct3d errors on my system.  How're you aware of that?

and what sort of development?  I do 3D parametric modeling (Solidworks, Inventor)..  Thankfully, I have a dual boot system with XP and Vista, and all my work software runs on the XP drive..

Saturday, August 25, 2007 12:58 PM
  • Me too. I'm reinstall the whole system again, but the error message still same.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:04 PM
  • The MS validation server is down:

http://forums.microsoft.com/Genuine/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2053834&SiteID=25

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:05 PM
  •  JohninTN wrote:

How're you aware of that?

Well, looks like it's partially working. The Need For Speed Most Wanted demo isn't, but my applications seem to run okay.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:05 PM
  • Calm down? Man, I don't care if Aero isnt working, even if it would take weeks. But my games aren't working either. After they load, I'm thrown back at the desktop by the 'you're a thief' message....

Never buying myself a windows version again. If you didn't buy it, you wouldn't have these problems...
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:35 PM
  • Dear JohninTN,

Do you have any idea of the sheer rage that this little "bug" has unleashed? I suggest to you that this incident will become a flash point for many. Vista is the most expensive consumer OS (for the user) that Microsoft has produced to date. Many (including myself) had no choice in taking it because it was the only choice offered on their new laptops (or desktops or whatever). I would have preferred XP, but ...

I even went the extra step and upgraded to Ultimate to gain Group Policy functionality.

Now imagine that through some bungling, thousands of copies of Vista are being flagged as "impure" in origin. This estimate is probably a gross underestimate, simply based on the evidence of the number of my friends, colleagues, and acquaintances affected. In order to prove to themselves that your Vista-powered PC is legitimate Microsoft issue, WGA decides NOT JUST TO DENY WINDOWS UPDATE PRIVILEGES to the PC, but it actually TURNS OFF FUNCTIONALITY THAT THE USER HAS PAID FOR (Aero, for example). Do you see the problem, here? A false positive is an ugly reality. How Microsoft responds to the false positive is the issue, here. How should it work, IMHO?

1) Don't allow the update (unless it is a critical update - why put other legitimate Windows users on the same networks at risk because of the possibility of a false positive? - one might even make the case that all legitimate users should be protected against counterfeiters who place them at risk)

2) Allow the user immediate redress (WITHOUT FEES) and make it clear how that redress is possible - based on the tenor of the correspondence on this forum, that is NOT the case - people went in all sorts of directions to try and understand what had happened to them. I filed a trouble ticket for 24-hour business day response. That is not acceptable; especially, since this occurred on Friday after business hours.

3) DO NOT ***EVER*** TURN OFF FUNCTIONALITY IN A USER'S PC THAT WAS, POTENTIALLY, LICENSED BY THE USER - LEGITIMATELY! This is ugly beyond belief and just plain bad customer service. It damages the Microsoft brand and creates customer enmity.

Are there millions of illegal Vista copies in the world? Probably - certainly, Microsoft makes that case (I don't know their current numbers - perhaps they might even contend that there are billions of illegal copies). However, is it proper to correct THAT problem on the backs of the paying customers?

Perhaps you will argue that bugs are inevitable in all software, so it must be expected that they will be present in WGA. All software quality measurements would find that the number of troubles already reported probably exceed that for generally recognized "release quality" by a wide margin. In the area of WGA, Microsoft ought to ensure that quality WELL ABOVE the accepted norm for release is attained before turning it loose on their customer base. The damage to their customers and to THEIR BRAND is too great to do otherwise.

Care to speculate on the press coverage that this problem will spawn? Microsoft will be punished, yet again, for this cavalier attitude in such a critical area of their customer relationship.

One final note: such a gaffe should elicit a public response from Microsoft as soon as it is recognized. Clearly, the communication, internally, of the problem was woefully inadequate - a forum monitor in this area was advising folks to pursue a remedy that had already proved to be ineffectual for many. That is also not the correct way to manage an issue such as this. Have you seen any OFFICIAL response from Microsoft on this PARTICULAR issue with WGA? If you have, I would welcome an opportunity to read it. Please do many a favor and post the link on this forum.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:39 PM
  • oh no! the world is ending because your games aren't working!  Guess I'll just boot my XP drive and install a few shooters over there to help me pass the weekend.  Or, God forbid, I might even leave the house and actually get some sunshine...  Haven't been fishing in months.

in short, yes, calm down.  A few days of no puter (if it were to come to that, which it won't) won't kill you..

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:42 PM
  • JohinTN,

You may have missed a point. Some have complained about games no longer working. Whatever you feel about how they should spend their time is irrelevant in this discussion.

However, others have claimed that their WORK is impeded. Developers cannot develop because certain portions of their development environment have become non-functional. And the problems began before the weekend. And it is raining where some people are. And I've noticed that you aren't fishing because you are here posting to the forum ...

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:51 PM
  • Well people have paid hundreds of dollars, so if their games aren't working because of problems with Microsoft - problems that should never happen in the first place - people also use graphic applications as well and are now handicapped because of this silly problem. I myself am running my own home business, have to get a lot of invoices and shipments completed today, and although I'm still able to do it, this problem has still wasted a lot of my time and I'm unable to install the compatibility and reliability patch. The bottom line is; we the customer spent a lot of money on this product, and we EXPECT good quality, no let-downs and 24 hour support. I think it's laughable that Microsoft will most probably not sort this problem out because employees are having a few days off.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:55 PM
  • Hi.

Is there any way to disabel this Aero thing so I kan run my games again, Ship Simulator 2008 will  not run after this validation problem, because af Aero...

Thomas

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:56 PM
  • I agree - this is a major pain (some people have to work over the weekend). I am unable to get a Microsoft DST patch that is needed for my O*acle database - the st*pid DST patch is asking for validation which doesn't work. I have a demo that I need to get done for Monday and I am unable to do anything - except maybe purchase a new laptop.

However, I don't think there is any recourse - the EULA must have tons of legalese - no claims as to warranty, specific use or such.

I hope MS doesn't ask us all to re-install Vista - that would be a non-starter for me.

The MAC is starting to look more and more attractive

Saturday, August 25, 2007 1:59 PM
  •  

Well i am happy to see its not just me having this problem, after i spent al night re-doing my system, with dual boot with xp and vista, then to find out it says its not genuine....its ACTIVATED, but not genuine..

must be just a vista thing though, as the validation works in XP.

i called customer service in india 3x got put on hole disconnected only to find out no one is there until monday to do anything.

so i am releived to see its a global prob.

i thought i was going out of my mind, especially since i received my copy of vista from Microsoft as a gift for being part of the beta testing team.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:01 PM
  • pianomangs, your entire rant is exactly the kind of *** I was talking about.  You are freaking hyper-ventilating over this.  Dude, it's a computer.  I love mine, I use it for all kinds of stuff.  You talk like you've never encountered a bug in software before, like this is going to rock the foundations of our society and bring M$ down like a burning building.  I say, big deal!  It's a minor issue with a sever down somewhere.  It'll get fixed, everyone will be as legit as they were before the problem and life WILL go on. 

I'm honestly laughing my *** off at how seriously you are taking this.  I guess it comes from the fact that I've owned puters for longer than most of you guys have been alive, and I've seen all the ups and all the downs.  In the grand scope of life, having your computer down, or slightly crippled, for a few days just isn't that big a deal to me.  I know, today's culture is one of absolute instant gratification, and you want everything NOW NOW NOW, but you'll outgrow that in time.  Your blog about how many times a day you vacate your bowel will be fine when everything comes back, your myspace page will have a few less useless posts to read, you might even have less spam in your email.  But within a couple days of everything coming back up, all that *** will once again be in full effect.  Just try to enjoy the day, and be happy with yourself.

don't get me wrong, I want it fixed too, but it isn't stopping me from doing one single thing on the computer that I want to do.  Has it stopped you from doing anything specific that will harm your life in any real way?  ok, some people can't play some specific games they want to run.  Try another one?  I just tried S.T.A.L.K.E.R. and it runs fine, or as well as it ever has on Vista (buggy POS!)..  I'm sure Half Life 2 stil runs too.  When all my games stop working, I could still go fire up the Playstation and play some Madden... 

As for media coverage, I'm not seeing anything, anywhere, about it.  Cnet, Extremetech, CNN, nada..  No one seems to care about it except the people that see it as the world ending (you).  It's kind of like when AOL used to go down for maintenance and they'd screw it up.  Everyone was desperate for their fix!  Addicts, I say..

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:17 PM
  • Dear JohninTN,

Some of us need to WORK with our computers and pieces are now seriously broken. Have you read all of the messages even in the thread that you began? You know ... this is how some people earn their living ...

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:21 PM
  •  curiousme wrote:

I agree - this is a major pain (some people have to work over the weekend). I am unable to get a Microsoft DST patch that is needed for my O*acle database - the st*pid DST patch is asking for validation which doesn't work. I have a demo that I need to get done for Monday and I am unable to do anything - except maybe purchase a new laptop.

However, I don't think there is any recourse - the EULA must have tons of legalese - no claims as to warranty, specific use or such.

I hope MS doesn't ask us all to re-install Vista - that would be a non-starter for me.

The MAC is starting to look more and more attractive

Now this guy I feel sorry for.  An actual user with a real world problem.  You sir, have every right to complain and I hope it gets fixed ASAP for your sake.

After reading all the posts here on the subject, I now realize what triggered my de-validation.  I was reformatting a friend's puter, and needed the Windows Installer 3.0 software.  Her puter has no NIC, so I went to get it on my system and was going to transfer it over once I got it downloaded.  It told me to validate before the download.  That's when I saw it.  So, it probably is totally unrelated to the update that came on the 24th.  Since it couldn't validate for that download, it has de-validated my entire Vista.  Once the server is plugged back in, and it can validate, everything should be fine.

As for a Mac, I've threated to do that for years but I've never found a Mac that attracted me enough to stop puttting up with M$'s problems.  Lovely OS, but program support for the things I do just isn't robust enough.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:24 PM
  • settles down? please...  you can lay down and take the leash if you want.  but I demand my hard earned $200 actually function like it should.  And while you are waiting for your master to throw you a bone, you can drop your juvinile "go out in the sun" argument.  not all of us use our computers for play.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:36 PM
  •  pianomangs wrote:

3) DO NOT ***EVER*** TURN OFF FUNCTIONALITY IN A USER'S PC THAT WAS, POTENTIALLY, LICENSED BY THE USER - LEGITIMATELY! This is ugly beyond belief and just plain bad customer service. It damages the Microsoft brand and creates customer enmity.

Well put. Redueced functionality may be an effective technique to counter piracy, but the implementation of this design in our case is questionable. From what I understand, if MS gives users 30-day period to activate the OS before invoke reduced functionality, why not do the same for failed validation?

The agony here is not validation failure but rather not be able to operate at full capacity of the OS when you know you have a legitimate product. If there is a grace period before the OS goes into the reduced functionality mode upon validation failure, this whole WGA server problem would not have such severe effect.

As for customer satisfaction, I know I am very disappointed.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 2:39 PM
  • Well, It certainly is stopping me from doing what I bought the whole OS for.

Wont let me play any of my games!

I'm not gonna freak out but man... I just bought Vista yesterday and allready I cant play any of my games.

When I start up a game it says im not validated and the Windows Aero service is not working.

Was hopping to have a better experience but oh well... I wonder if xp users are having same problem?
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:01 PM
  •  JohninTN wrote:

oh no! the world is ending because your games aren't working!  Guess I'll just boot my XP drive and install a few shooters over there to help me pass the weekend.  Or, God forbid, I might even leave the house and actually get some sunshine...  Haven't been fishing in months.

in short, yes, calm down.  A few days of no puter (if it were to come to that, which it won't) won't kill you..

What about those of us who have been outside the last two days dirt biking and just wanted to come home and relax to a few games?

Maybe I should go dirt biking again.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:06 PM
  • Macs really are looking a lot more attractive now

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:13 PM
  • Having you computer down for a few days when you had projects you had to have finished is serious, and they should not disable functionality because THEIR server is down - it should not let you download updates and say "try again later" not "you might be a thief so were going to take your os functionality from you"

Saturday, August 25, 2007 3:34 PM
  • This clearly doesnt need to be as complicated as the practicalities of whether anyone could work, whether anyone could play games, whether anyone could go fishing yada yada yada.

This is about the MS using world largely being shafted and denied the use of something they paid for. Anything else is irrelevent. I paid for it, so it ought to work. And a 3 day outage over something like this isnt ok.

No one likes the extra Microsoft Genuine Advantage stuff, and for that to actually manage to stop us using something we paid for, even if its just for 3 days over a weekend, is unacceptable.

So JohninTN, maybe you're cool with being rodgered by a large multinational. So fair play Johny. Enjoy it.

For others who arent so in to that sort of thing, we dont need telling how to bend over. But thanks anyway.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 4:30 PM
  •  

John, your advice is unwelcome. I've got less than two weeks to finish a project that requires Aero and I've just lost 4 days' work time.

So the fact that you havent been stopped from doing anything doesn't justify your lecturing others to calm down. A lot of us are being seriously hurt by this stupid blunder.

Steve

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:10 PM
  •  

puter

What surfers with learning difficulties call their computer.

My puter is very clever.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=puter

Saturday, August 25, 2007 5:48 PM
  •  JohninTN wrote:

oh no! the world is ending because your games aren't working!  Guess I'll just boot my XP drive and install a few shooters over there to help me pass the weekend.  Or, God forbid, I might even leave the house and actually get some sunshine...  Haven't been fishing in months.

JohninTN, don't be a bloody idiot. Some ppl may have actually re-installed Vista already to try to correct the prob. I actually re-did my product key to try to alleviate the prob before I came here and found out that it is a validation server prob and not my OS.. Some of us work and play on our puter's. We also paid for the genuine copy of Vista to prevent this sort of thing from happening. So you can remain calm but don't try to tell the rest of us how to act if you don't know what we use our computers for. Kinda reminds me of the 911 operator telling the person on the other end who is in dire straiths to calm down.

Strangely enough I wasn't getting the non-genuine message until I tried to d/l DirectX and was told I needed to valid Windows before I could do the d/l. Ever since then Aero is turned off and God knows what else. That means that the validation attempt did d/l something to my computer where every time I start up I get the validation pop-up.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:02 PM
  • All,

No-one is denying Microsoft the right to protect their IP after having many millions of non-genuine copies of their previous OS's in circulation.

The argument really is that it should be based on actual cases and not false ones.  I have posted an occurrence with my genuine copy of Vista which, after a legitimate update of my BIOS, dropped dead on me.

Not acceptable customer service or technical implementation.

Sure, some people get hot under the collar over this issue but saying "Calm down" does not fix the fundamental issues with the premium priced flagship product.

There has not been any statement issued by Microsoft that this type of occurrence will be addressed or will not reoccur.

To put it into perspective, here in Australia (downunder) a retail copy of Vista costs more than a low end PC.

Saturday, August 25, 2007 6:50 PM
  • I came here not because I have a problem but because the mainstream media is starting to pick up on this issue, I suspect that pressure on MS to fix the problem will tremendously increase once this hits a few news/social networking sites.

The reason I'm not having any issues? I use Ubuntu and have the pleasure of knowing my OS and computer are owned by me. Maybe a few people here should give it a try: you never know, it might work! If it doesn't, all you've wasted are a couple of hours when you couldn't use Vista anyway.

Either way, I hope these problems get fixed for you guys soon. Smile

Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:10 PM
  • Saturday, August 25, 2007 7:40 PM
  • I agree with pianomangs, this whole situations in not just about a "bug" or a server error. It's about the way Microsoft treats its consumers...

I recently bought a Mac, but I sometimes run Windows (original license from previous PC) on Parallels to use Windows-only software for work... Why can't the app just say that the server is down instead of saying we use illegal software. If consumers are not getting a good OS for the price they're paying, at least they should get some respect from MS.
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 8:50 PM
  • You must be enjoyed of being called a counterfeit or criminal or something like that ha
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:49 PM
  • I'm out in the sun on the Central California coast, JohninTn, and it's a beautiful day. Thanks for the suggestion.

< sarcasm> So, how unreasonable is it to expect an operating system to work, especially after spending your hard-earned money on it (or hard earned money on the computer it came with)? Apparently, according to John, it's completely reasonable to wait three days for Microsoft to get its act together.

Shame on you all for having the unmitigated nerve to expect Vista to work as you expect it to. The unmitigated nerve.< /sarcasm>

Everyone who's unhappy with Vista should mosey over to http://www.ubuntu.com and ask for a free Live CD (or download it from the site, if you're so inclined) of Ubuntu GNU/Linux and give it a try. The last thing you'll find is your operating system calling you a thief after spending your money on it, or the computer it came with (and, in this case, you wouldn't have spent any money because it's free).
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:51 PM
  • Soon, I believe, your post will be deleted by MS moderators...

People like JoxxxNT , who likes to be slapped on the *** will never take your opinion
    Saturday, August 25, 2007 10:56 PM
  •  JohninTN wrote:

For the last 18 hours or so, I've been going crazy trying to figure out what I did to un-validate my Vista Home Premium.  I finally tried this board and find lots of other people in the same boat.  Clearly this is a bug, and clearly they're aware of it. ... you know there will be a new update up sometime in the very near future (I'd estimate 2-3 days, probably less)..

I am amazed that your math skills are so poor, or that you must make about 50 cents an hour.  You spent 18 hours fixing a non-problem and you think it is no big deal?   The average computer consultant makes about $100/hr give or take some.  That 18 hours would be $1800!  That is more than the computer probably cost, and from the looks of things, more than you make in a month. 

When you get a real job, and time = money for you, let us know how you feel about this.

Amazing....

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:06 PM
  • So.  What if your car didn't work for no other reason than the manufacturer had a defective security alarm that disabled it if it couldn't "phone home?"  No big deal, you don't need to go to the grocery store, and hey, who cares that you can't make it to work for 3 days?  How would you like it if all your credit cards indicated they were stolen when you tried to pay for some cat food at Petsmart?  Or if you went to Wal*Mart and set off the theft alarms at the exit and you were hauled to the back and held for 18 hours only to have them tell you it was a "bug" and they'd have you all fixed up and out of that cell in, oh, 2 - 3 days?

I guess if you're a monopoly, you can do whatever you want...

Rad

Saturday, August 25, 2007 11:44 PM
  • Well will you look at that?  I went out for the day with my daughter, and I came home to find fully functional Vista after doing one simple little click!  Golly, the world DIDN'T end simply because the pretty visual overlay to Vista was disabled for a few hours!  Ya know, I hate M$ as much as the next guy with half a technical brain cell, but even I understand that no system is perfect, no servers are uncrashable and no system can ever build in enough redundancies to eliminate every problem.  Some of you seem like intelligent people (except the idiot that thinks I spent 18 straight hours on this..  Some of us do sleep ya know...), but the lemming-like panic was laughable.  I hope some of you did get outside for a few minutes, it was lovely out there today =)

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:19 AM
  •  

Folks:

Please remember this is a TROUBLESHOOTING section. We do have a section specially for feedback/comments as I definitely encourage open discussion.

Keep the langauge suitable as well - this is a public forum and is read by users of ALL AGES.

That being said, I must lock this post at this time as this post is strictly feedback/comments related. Please follow the terms-of-use (located at the bottom) for the Microsoft.com Public forums.

Thanks,

-phil

Sunday, August 26, 2007 12:23 AM