Repeat Vista Activation Request RRS feed

• Question

• I installed Vista several months back and was able to activate it.  In about April, I upgraded my video driver and other drivers (nVidia driver package, I have an nForce4 motherboard).  At that time, I was unable to re-activate Vista, so had to call in and was able to get a code to activate.

Yesterday I rebooted my machine and was prompted to once again activate Vista.  I have made no hardware changes, no driver changes, nothing that should trigger a re-activation.  I have heard that there are a limited number of re-activations per license key.  Are these re-activations going to eventually cause problems?

My machine:
    Vista Ultimate
    ASUS A8N5X motherboard
    AMD 4200+ CPU
    2 gig OCZ RAM
    Monday, July 2, 2007 10:07 PM

Answers

• This time I have no idea what triggered the re-activation.  No driver changes, nothing.  The automated phone system told me my key was in use (duh, I'm using it on my machine!). A phone call to India and deciphering the heavily accented English got me activated, for now.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 8:18 PM

All replies

• i am on about activation number ten

Twice activated by phone ok.

Needs reactivating when  vista driver issued for PATA hard drive then when i installed a new hard drive . Indian call centre dealt with reactivation no problem . Unlike XP it seems you only get one go at activation once reactivated by phone call .Will need to phone home for the third time after another major crash ( bootmanager prone to losing a partition ) tommorrow . No problems if there is a problem i shall just post them back the genuine ms disc microsoft  sent me and use alternative .

jje

Wednesday, July 4, 2007 5:52 PM
  • This time I have no idea what triggered the re-activation.  No driver changes, nothing.  The automated phone system told me my key was in use (duh, I'm using it on my machine!). A phone call to India and deciphering the heavily accented English got me activated, for now.

Saturday, July 7, 2007 8:18 PM