replacing a shadowed data disk 24hrs and still stuck in the "deleting disk" dialog box RRS feed

• Question

• I had a hitachi 1T and a samsung 1T.  The system reports OK but the error log keeps logging event 9 messages (I believe for the hitachi, it is so very hard to tell).

Additionally the hitachi was running 25F hotter than the samsung.

So I purchased a nearly matching samsung.  I am trying to replace the hitachi.

So, naively perhaps, I formatted the new samsung 1T.  Now I have a matched set.  Then I disconnected the hitachi.

In the WHS console I chose delete the hitachi.

I got warnings and then I got the deleting disk dialog with a green progress bar.  It said it might take a few hours.

It has been 18 hours, the disk is still churning.

The dual proc system has one of the processor maxed out.

There are over 380 dw20 processes running.

Is this ever going to end?

This doesn't seem like a very user friendly way to deal with shadowed data.

thanks

David Thiel

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:14 PM

Answers

• Yes

I had been getting a bad block on C: once in a while (one a month?).

Thanks for your response.

This morning C: was not recognized by the system.  Even though this is not WHS's fault, I am going to reconstitute my media server with XP.

I was very disappointed to discover that the two terabyte data drives could not be read when mounted on the new XP install.  No files at all!

I also thought it is a bad design to insist on putting data on the system disk.

So, I put my system into RAID1 mode with the two Tb drives and away I go.

I did back the entire contents of WHS server to a Tb drive last week so in a day I should be up and running.

Sadder but wiser.

ddt 

• Marked as answer by daudioguy Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:34 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:34 AM

All replies

• problem update:

So after 20 hours, the hitachi was finally deleted.

I added the new samsung 1Tb drive to the storage pool and I am watching to see all the shares being duplicated to it.

The 380 instances of dw20.exe processes were troubling.  This shouldn't happen.  I manually deleted them as the system was very sluggish.

So far WHS has underwhelmed me.

I am still getting the system log error 9 events about an IDE device timing out.  I cannot work backwards from the system error event to identifying the drive.  When I look at device mapping in the registry, I don't even have a folder for IDE, only SCSI.  The DVDROM drive is an IDE device yet it is reported under SCSI.

Confusing to say the least.

Meanwhile, WHS console has never complained until I removed one of its storage pool drives.

It is a problem for me that there are errors that WHS console doesn't relate to.

I am not fond of WHS's backup UI so I do not use it.  I was hoping that the share redundancy functions of WHS and the greater reliability would be why I am using it instead of XP.

If I cannot get rid of the errors I may start from scratch with XP.  Too bad.

ddt

Saturday, May 1, 2010 7:46 PM
  • Lots of the drivers are actually implemented as SCSI. It usually means SATA

Have you run chkdsk on all your disks?

Monday, May 3, 2010 11:53 PM
  • Yes

I had been getting a bad block on C: once in a while (one a month?).

Thanks for your response.

This morning C: was not recognized by the system.  Even though this is not WHS's fault, I am going to reconstitute my media server with XP.

I was very disappointed to discover that the two terabyte data drives could not be read when mounted on the new XP install.  No files at all!

I also thought it is a bad design to insist on putting data on the system disk.

So, I put my system into RAID1 mode with the two Tb drives and away I go.

I did back the entire contents of WHS server to a Tb drive last week so in a day I should be up and running.

Sadder but wiser.

ddt 

• Marked as answer by daudioguy Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:34 AM
    Tuesday, May 4, 2010 12:34 AM
  •   Even though this is not WHS's fault, I am going to reconstitute my media server with XP.

The data should be in a HIDDEN folder named DE on the data disks or the D partition of the system disk

If you mount the disk in anohter NTFS aware system (for example Windows XP) you need to enable "View hidden files and folders" otherwise the disk will appear empty even if there's data on the disk.

Tuesday, May 4, 2010 10:47 AM