none
Which Set to complete for MCST Visual Studio 2008/2010 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I'm planning to take a certification for MCTS. I have 2 questions as below -

1. Shall I go for Visual Studio 2008 (for which the entire study material is available in Microsoft Press Books) OR the latest ones Visual Studio 2010 (for which no Microsoft Press Book is available). I prefer to study from the Microsoft Press Book instead of online training. Please suggest.

2. This question is more dependent on the first reply.
         a. Visual Studio 2008 - As I see in this link - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab3 , there are 6 certifications listed under MCTS and 1 prerequisite
    Exam 70-536. So how many of these 6 certifications do I need to take in order to earn a MCTS?

b. Visual Studio 2010 - As i see in this link - http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/cert-vstudio.aspx#tab2 , there are 4 certifications listed under MCST and no prerequisite. SO how many of these do I need to complete in order to earn a MCTS?

Regards,
      Aparna ...

Friday, October 8, 2010 7:00 AM

Answers

• Hi Aparna,

It's always difficult to decide which one to go for. It depends on how quick you want to take the exams. As you said the materials for 2008 are there and for 2010 will be coming soon. 2008 will be around for some time so if you decide to go for that one i'd say go for it. Personally i'd go for 2008 as well because of the lack of prep materials for 2010. If you are in no hurry and want the latest technology go for 2010 but you have to wait a couple of months for all the prep materials to arrive.

As to your second question take a look at this list which shows you exactly what is required to become MCTS:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

I did 70-536 and have to say it gave me a lot of insight in how the .net framework acts. Ofcourse that also evolves so we are now at .net 4 and so the exams and preparation materials are updated.

It's always possible to go for an upgrade exam when the time has come.

Hope this answers your question somewhat...

Maurice

Maurice
    • Marked as answer by Aparna Taori Monday, October 11, 2010 5:20 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 12:07 PM

All replies

• Hi Aparna,

It's always difficult to decide which one to go for. It depends on how quick you want to take the exams. As you said the materials for 2008 are there and for 2010 will be coming soon. 2008 will be around for some time so if you decide to go for that one i'd say go for it. Personally i'd go for 2008 as well because of the lack of prep materials for 2010. If you are in no hurry and want the latest technology go for 2010 but you have to wait a couple of months for all the prep materials to arrive.

As to your second question take a look at this list which shows you exactly what is required to become MCTS:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/certification/mcts.aspx#tab2

I did 70-536 and have to say it gave me a lot of insight in how the .net framework acts. Ofcourse that also evolves so we are now at .net 4 and so the exams and preparation materials are updated.

It's always possible to go for an upgrade exam when the time has come.

Hope this answers your question somewhat...

Maurice

Maurice
    • Marked as answer by Aparna Taori Monday, October 11, 2010 5:20 AM
    Friday, October 8, 2010 12:07 PM
  • Thanks Maurice.

I guess since i am in a bit of hurry i can go for 2008 and later opt for an upgrade.

Regarding the MCTS, does a single certification listed also earns us that? I had an impression that it has to be a set of 2-3 certifications to earn me a MCTS.

Thanks,
    Aparna ...

Aparna Taori
    Friday, October 8, 2010 12:20 PM
  • Hi Aparna,

Good choice. Yes some exams directly give you MCTS and others require two as the list shows. For instance 70-431 gives you MCTS for SQL Server 2005 and others you need two. So 70-536 earns you MCTS as well. (don't be fooled lot's of stuff to learn!)

Maurice

Maurice
    Friday, October 8, 2010 2:01 PM