Change Edge Server Roles RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

If we installed an OCS Edge server in a consolidated configuration (put AV, Web conferencing, and Access Edge all on one box) then later wanted to separate out the AV role (IE have webconf and Access Edge on one box with AV on another), what would be the proper procedure for doing this?  My guess would be to deactivate the Edge server, uninstall the Edge server, then reinstall the bits and only pick Web and access Edge to install for the main box.  We would then bring up a separate AV server.  Is this correct?

Also would this pose any problems in a migration scenario?  Say the Access Edge was deployed while most users were homed to LCS (with LCS as the next hop on the edge server) and some users on the new OCS server?  would there be any communication problems for Public connectors or remote users after the deactivation and reinstall?

Thanks
    Tuesday, December 16, 2008 3:17 AM

All replies

• My suggestion - Don't.  :-)

If you plan to move to 2007 R2, the consolidated edge configuration is the only supported edge topology.

Rick
    Sunday, December 28, 2008 7:23 PM
  • hi , the correct procedure is deactivate the roll of AV , then unistall av edge server role only , from control panel , at this point you can still  have remote access  and web conference with no troubles.
    In the new machine you run installation of the edge server and only activate the AV roll.

The second question , i don't think this scenario can be supported , cause edge server is only for OCS , LCS have another name for that role. If you are planning a migration first stand up the OCS server and then other roles.

Hopes it helps¡

Amado Imperial
    Monday, January 19, 2009 10:48 PM
  • Regarding the second half of the question, when running both LCS and OCS internal servers/pools an OCS 2007 Access Edge server is needed, as it replaces the LCS Acces Proxy server.  That single Edge server will faciliate communications for both OCS and LCS internal servers/pools.  This is covered in-step in the OCS 2007 Migration guide:
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=20F67AFC-6AF5-4A03-99BF-4150DEF36457&displaylang=en
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Monday, January 19, 2009 11:54 PM