Mutli-PC management and Vista Standard User Account RRS feed

• Question

• Can main hub manage other computer that is always login with standard account?
    Tuesday, July 17, 2007 8:55 PM

Answers

• In order to become a Hub PC, the logged-in user doesnt need to be a local administrator. The user does however need the Live ID credentials of the subscription owner.

Once a user has been made Hub PC, that user needs to be a local administrator in order to perform any actions on another PC.

The other PC (i.e. the PC which is being managed) can have any type of users logged in (standard/administrator etc) - it will not impact the ability of the Hub PC to take actions on it.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:23 PM

All replies

• Do you mean that the hub is a standard user account or the managed PC is using a standard user account? Since OneCare is a service, it won't matter if it is the latter.

I haven't checked, but would expect that you can't administer the hub settings unless you have "admin" rights as changing settings required elevated privileges in Vista.

-steve

Wednesday, July 18, 2007 12:31 AM
  • In order to become a Hub PC, the logged-in user doesnt need to be a local administrator. The user does however need the Live ID credentials of the subscription owner.

Once a user has been made Hub PC, that user needs to be a local administrator in order to perform any actions on another PC.

The other PC (i.e. the PC which is being managed) can have any type of users logged in (standard/administrator etc) - it will not impact the ability of the Hub PC to take actions on it.

Thanks

Tuesday, July 24, 2007 9:23 PM
  • Thanks, Mona. It seems strange that a non-admin can create the hub, but that only an admin can then take actions *as* the hub.

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 1:33 AM
  • So if i'm log in as a Standard (Vista) account on hub pc does this mean that i will get a UAC password prompt if
    i want to take action on other PC.
    Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:06 AM
  • As I understand Mona's reply, you can't take action on another computer from the hub as a standard user. I don't know if you'll get a UAC prompt in that case. A standard user, to the best of my knowledge, can't be elevated to admin via UAC. UAC comes into play to give a admin more control over system settings temporarily.

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:33 PM
  •  

I just got a laptop computer and I want to put windows one care on it

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:36 AM
  •  twin2jerry wrote:

I just got a laptop computer and I want to put windows one care on it

The released production version can be installed from http://onecare.live.com as long as it meets the specifications. If you are a subscriber, then after installation, activate with the same LiveID that you subscribed with. If you wish to test the beta of v2.0, see here: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1848839&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:41 AM
  • OK thank you

Thursday, July 26, 2007 1:44 AM