Incomplete investment dropdown RRS feed

• Question

• I am trying to import a downloaded investment statement. Everything works till Money tells me that if found an investment in my brokerage statement and gives me the choice to either match that investment from a dropdown list if it already exists or to add this investment.

The investment already exists but I don't see it in the dropdown box. If I view the entire portfolio, the investment exists. I have tried changing the names etc. but to no avail.

I see old investments in the drop down that were removed. I suspect that somehow this dropdown is corrupted. I have run quick and standard repair. BTW if I try to add the investment Money correctly tells me that the investment exists!

Any suggestions on how i might go about fixing this?

Sunday, November 19, 2017 7:55 PM

All replies

• I've seen this when the existing investment is in one type (for example Stock), and the incoming investment (from statement) is another type (for example: Mutual Fund).

Go to the Investment Detail and check the Investment Type

Sunday, November 19, 2017 9:19 PM
  • hleofxquote2 - Thanks and a great suggestion. The investment is a Bond Fund ETF. Money wont let me change from Mutual fund to Stock or Index. If I change to Bond, it still does not work. I am looking at the OFX. Is there a way for me to tell what type of fund the statement thinks it is.

Interestingly all the funds in the drop down are stocks. I may try to backup the file, delete the investment set it up as stock and see if this works!

Monday, November 20, 2017 12:03 AM
  • hleofxquote2 - Thanks and a great suggestion. The investment is a Bond Fund ETF. Money wont let me change from Mutual fund to Stock or Index. If I change to Bond, it still does not work. I am looking at the OFX. Is there a way for me to tell what type of fund the statement thinks it is.

Interestingly all the funds in the drop down are stocks. I may try to backup the file, delete the investment set it up as stock and see if this works!

Expect "<MFINFO>" sections to contain info on mutual funds.

You will find <STOCKINFO> for stocks, and <OTHERINFO> for type "OTHER". OTHER may be used for REITS and MLPs. I have Money will accept an incoming OTHER to match something defined as Stock. as well as Other. in Money, and I suspect it permits OTHER to match others.  This text is from the OFX specification:

13.8.5 Securities Information
    The <MFINFO>, <STOCKINFO>, <OPTINFO>, <DEBTINFO>, and <OTHERINFO> aggregates 
    provide security information. They define the type of security, and one or more sets of descriptive 
    information. These aggregates relate the <SECID> used in positions, transactions, and open orders to 
    describe information about those securities. In this way, the system describes a given security only once, 
    no matter how many times it is referenced.

Monday, November 20, 2017 4:04 AM

Given the the drop down are stocks, I am guessing that the incoming is being typed as stock which is in conflict with your existing type of Mutual Fund. As Cal pointed out, you can check the OFX file for either *INFO tags (STOCKIFO and and so on ...)

Monday, November 20, 2017 4:57 PM
  • I am trying to import a downloaded investment statement. Everything works till Money tells me that if found an investment in my brokerage statement and gives me the choice to either match that investment from a dropdown list if it already exists or to add this investment.

The investment already exists but I don't see it in the dropdown box. If I view the entire portfolio, the investment exists. I have tried changing the names etc. but to no avail.

I see old investments in the drop down that were removed. I suspect that somehow this dropdown is corrupted. I have run quick and standard repair. BTW if I try to add the investment Money correctly tells me that the investment exists!

Any suggestions on how i might go about fixing this?

How you change investments from one type to another requires a different method with Money 2005 than with Money Plus. So the version becomes relevant.

Regarding the "investment exists" thing, the typical is that you have "deleted" the original investment, but it is still there but hidden. The thing could be an identical name you are trying to use, but more likely you are are trying to use the same symbol. The trick is to undelete the old investment, and then blank out its symbol. Also change the name to something you will probably never want to use in the future. Then you could re-delete.

For example, if you really want to get rid of symbol XYZ on an old investment, try entering a dividend for XYZ into the name of the investment; type those three letters, and then hit Tab.  Choose Dividend.  Note that the name in the box may have changed.  Finish creating the dividend.

Right-click that dividend, and choose GoToInvestment.  Click Details.  Whatever that investment is, if the symbol is XYZ, blank or change its symbol.  If the name is XYZ, Rename it to something else.

The symbol XYZ should now be freed up.  Delete the fake dividend.

In the *INFO topic, ignore SECINFO. You will find that tag for all securities.

Monday, November 20, 2017 5:41 PM
  • hleofxquotes2 & Cal Learner - thank you very much for the responses. The problem is as hleofxquotes2 guessed. The investments are coming in as stocks (thanks Cal for the OFX info) and I have it all set for Mutual Funds. 

I have Microsoft Money Plus and i cant change from Mutual fund to stock. I suspect it is because I have a sell and Mutual funds are treated differently than stocks? If I can figure it out, i may try to delete all the sells, change the investment and manually add back the sells.

I am trying to change the investment type in the investment detail screens

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:54 AM
  • In Money Plus, you should be able to change from MF to Stock if all of the transitions are types available to stocks.

To change from MF to Stock, the transactions must be things Stock has. Stock does not have these:
     S-Term Capital Gains Dist
     Reinvest S-Term CG Dist
     Mid-Term Capital Gains Dist
     Reinvest Mid-Term CG Dist
     L-Term Capital Gains Dist
     Reinvest L-Term CG Dist
     Interest

You could look through the Investment Transactions for the MF you want to change. For example, change Interest to Dividend if appropriate.

You could Customize the InvestmentTransactions report to look for the problem types if you are doing a lot of securities.

One more comment: If I bring in an OFX file with securities defined with OTHERINFO, it no problem providing quote data and transactions for things defined as Stock in Money. I suspect that if the security was defined as a Mutual Fund, it would work also. The reason I bring this up is that I suspect that if the OFX file were to bring in quote info in an OTHERINFO entry, it would match however the security was defined in Money. I have not tested out the permutations.

I don't know why, but Money does not support changing a stock or fund to Other, and does not support changing Other to stock or fund.

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 3:24 PM
  • For the MFs in question, all I have is a Buy and Dividend. Yet was unable to change from MF to Stock. What I ended up doing is changing "dividend" to "other income", then changing from MF to Stock and recoding other income to dividend. Painful but gets it done.

Also thx for the comment on the OFX and otherINFO. 

Tuesday, November 21, 2017 10:46 PM
  • For the MFs in question, all I have is a Buy and Dividend. Yet was unable to change from MF to Stock. What I ended up doing is changing "dividend" to "other income", then changing from MF to Stock and recoding other income to dividend. Painful but gets it done.

Surprising and interesting. Maybe you could now change those transactions back from Other Income to Dividend. If so, that would say that Dividend for a MF is somehow treated as different from a Dividend for a stock.
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:06 PM
  • Yes that is what I did and i am set for now. thanks again for all the assistance and input!
    Tuesday, November 21, 2017 11:53 PM
  • I have done some further testing with Money Plus. This confirms your findings, and adds a bit of info.

***fund to stock***

Changing a mutual fund that has even a single dividend transaction to a stock, does not work. This is true, even if I Void the dividend. Making that dividend  OtherIncome transaction lets the conversion succeed, as you discovered. So I confirm what you found, even in the simplest case.

***stock to fund***

Changing a stock to a mutual fund does not have a problem with dividends. What does not work is to attempt to change a stock that has done a spinoff using Money's spinoff mechanism. Those shares will have both AddShares and RemoveShares transactions on the same date.

The stock that was spun off does not have that problem, and can be converted to a mutual fund.

So how did that affect the mutual fund that sva29 had a problem with? I guess there could have been a mutual fund spinoff, or some event that generated transactions with a similar effect.

So anyway, it was not the mere presence of dividend transactions on a security that you are trying to change from a stock to a mutual fund.

Another thing I found is that if I convert a stock with dividends to a mutual fund, and then try to change it right back to a stock, that does not work.

*****extra comment*******

On an unrelated note, if you do the following command from a command window that is looking at your XFR folder, or whatever folder your OFX files are in , you will get a count of how many securities defined in each OFX file there have type "Other". If you have any, I suspect you will find that most of them is defined as something other than "Other" in Money, and work fine.

find /C "<OTHERINFO>" *.OFX

If you were to substitute STOCKINFO or MFINFO into the find command, you would get counts on those types.

Wednesday, November 22, 2017 4:47 PM
  • Thx for the "Find/C" command. I found it useful.

The last thing that remains is to figure out how to download Merrill Lynch transactions using pocketsense. I get an error (I think it was 2000). The ofx file does not tell me what the error is. In frustration I downloaded a trial version of another finance program and was able to successfully download the transactions. The parameters was identical to what i was using. 

I have looked online and others have had issues with Merrill Lynch. But could not find anyone who has comeback and explained how they got it to work. I called Merrill Lynch and got their canned response that they only support Quicken. BTW the other finance program was NOT quicken.

Any ideas on how to troubleshoot this? Perhaps I should pose this another forum?

In anycase wanted to say thanks for all the assistance. using manual download managed to sync my account. WIthout auto download i had kinda left it unsupervised :))

Thanks again!!

Friday, November 24, 2017 7:09 PM