none
Integrate Project Server 2007 with MOSS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

We planning to install Project Server 2007. We already have a working MOSS 2007. Now, I went through the link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197558.aspx , which explains on how to deploy the Project server 2007 on existing MOSS 2007. 

My Question is:

What happens to the existing Config database of MOSS 2007, will the Poject server 2007 share the same config database and SSP_content database, SharePoint_AdminContent?

If I use a separete new Server for Project Server 2007 but same SQL Server instance (the instance which has MOSS 2007 databases), then still will it can share the same config, admin databses & SSP_Content or Creates a new config & Admin & SSP_Content databases?

How it works?

In our case, we must need to use existing SQL Server instance(the instance which has MOSS 2007 databases) and looking for the options for Integrating Project Server 2007 with existing MOSS Server 2007 OR install Project server in a New server?

Which is the Best practice?

• Moved by Mike Walsh FINModerator Monday, November 23, 2009 5:17 PM Off-topic - project server post to a project server newsgroup. See the sticky post in SP -general (From:SharePoint - General Question and Answers and Discussion)
    Monday, November 23, 2009 4:45 PM

All replies

• I have found that it is easier to manage project when it is installed with its own contect database. This can be on your existing SQL instance. When prompted to specify the contect db, just let it use the default, which would be creating its own content DB. You will still be able to configure sharepoint search services to crawl the new site collection that will be created when you install Project Server. I currently have Project installed on its own server as I have found that when Project Server is executing tasks from the que it can really hog memory and especially processor useage. I installed the applications (MOSS and Project Server) on different servers, but they are using the same DB server and SQL instances in seperate content databases.
    Monday, November 23, 2009 5:42 PM
  • In our case also the Project Server content DB Contendb is separate from The MOSS 2007 content database. But my Question is instead-of creating new Config, SSP, Central Administration, Search Database for Project Server, can we use the existing MOSS 2007's  Config, SSP, Central Administration, Search Database??

Lets say, in my test environment, I already have installed MOSS 2007 in Server A & its Databases are in server B as below:

SharePoint_Config
    SharePoint_AdminContent_xxxx
    WSS_Content_SSP
    SharedServices1_DB
    SharedServices1_Search_DB

Now installing Project Server on Server C but same SQL Server instance (Server B)

Project_SharePoint_Config
    Project_SSP_DB
    PWA_SSP__Content
    PWA_Content
    ProjectServer_Archive
    ProjectServer_Draft
    ProjectServer_Published
    ProjectServer_Reporting

So my Question is:

Can we avoid creating the below databases while installing Project Server on Server C and use the existing MOSS databases

Project_SharePoint_Config (i.e can we use existing SharePoint_Config, while installing Project Server) same for the below
    Project_SSP_DB
    PWA_SSP__Content
    PWA_Content

thanks

Monday, November 23, 2009 8:04 PM
  • Hi Texrcana,

I have couple of questions for you as you have both project server databases & MOSS 2007 databases on Single SQL Server instance. I  also have both project server databases and MOSS 2007 databases on same SQL Server instance. Now we are planning to do the same in production. Before going to production, I would like to know the below.

Questions:

1. Below are the list of Project Server databases & MOSS 2007 databases on the same SQL Server instance. I would like to know that you also have the same way

Project Server databases:

Project_SharePoint_Config
    Project_SSP_DB
    ProjectServer_Archive
    ProjectServer_Draft
    ProjectServer_Published
    ProjectServer_Reporting
    PWA_Content
    PWA_SSP__Content
    SharePoint_AdminContent_xxxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxx

MOSS 2007 databases:

SharePoint_AdminContent_yyyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyy-yyyyyyyy
    SharedServices1_DB
    SharedServices1_Search_DB
    SharePoint_Config
    WSS_CONTENT_DEVAPP
    WSS_Content_MySite
    WSS_Content_SSP
    WSS_Search_MOSS

2. In surface Area configuration, remote connections->local and remote connections, I have selected the option "Using both TCP/IP and  named pipes". Is that the same option you have selected? Because, I found the Surface area configuration as below for Project server from the link  http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc197479.aspx

Select Local and Remote Connections, select Using TCP/IP only, and then click OK

But for our existing SQL Server instance for MOSS 2007, has the surface Area configuration as below from the link http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc263187.aspx

Select Local and Remote Connections, select Using both TCP/IP and named pipes

3. How you doing Index defrag? Using maintenance plan rebuild/reorganize task or any other script?

Your answers will really help me

many thanks
    Tuesday, January 5, 2010 11:46 PM