Call for Ideas of New Features or Functions RRS feed

• General discussion

• Dear Academic Search users,

Thanks for your concerns all the time.  We’ve got plenty of meaningful suggestions and questions from you to improve our service. Now we need your help to go forth.

What kind of features or functions do you want in the near future?  Your interesting innovative ideas may be realized in the forward Academic Search to make it much preferable to users.

Please feel free to post any thought below, or send us email.

Thanks again for your patience and support.

Microsoft Academic Search Team
    • Changed type Stella Li Friday, March 4, 2011 8:27 AM
    Friday, March 4, 2011 7:08 AM

All replies

• Three suggestions:

1) I would like to see publications such as patents included in the database. A lot of valuable information is found in patents.

2) Consider expanding the 'Author's Basic Information' through more linking possibilities (to LinkedIN, Facebook, etc) this way you'll expand on the possibilites of making the service more 'social' in flavour.

3) Add a function 'Find similar persons' that will find similar athours to a given author (however, not any of the co-authors!), in order to help in finding relevant possible collaboration partners.

Cheers!

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 11:33 AM
  • thanks for your feedback engodmonsen,  i like suggesiton #3, and we're in total control of this feature,  the other suggestions require we need to collaborate with external partners,  which is not easy most of the time.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011 7:17 PM
  • I'd like to be able to browse the citation tree of papers, like we can currently browse author collaboration relationships.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 1:37 AM
  • It would be nice to somehow add/submit data. There's a conference in my area that has data for 2001-2005 but nothing since then, even though it's all in the ACM database.

Monday, March 21, 2011 1:47 AM
  • It would be handy to be able to edit author interests, since some of the interests listed for me are incorrect.
    Monday, March 21, 2011 1:53 AM
  • Here is my feedback:

• It would be nice to be able to share results via various social media methods (e.g. Share/Like via Facebook or LinkedIn or Twitter).  This would drive traffic to the site.
    • Ability to file found research into 'folders' while researching a topic.  These folders should be persistent for a user so that they can return to them.  It would be awesome if these could be shared with other people via Windows Live or Facebook, etc.
    • Include a way of exporting a citation of a result or set of results. This should support simple copy and paste in different citation formats or export into an Word biblio. sources XML list (ideally from a 'folder' like option above).  It would also be nice to be able to export results into OneNote in different formats from a 'folder'.
    • A PivotViewer Silverlight option for visualisation of results and sorting through data (http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/pivotviewer/).  This would be very useful when looking for general topics and needing to sort through a lot of results.  For example, if researching a topic where most work hasn't been recently done, a Pivot on year would show me immediately when that work was done.  A pivot on publication location would tell me where that research is being conducted.

Thanks,
    Saud.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011 11:53 AM
  • I think Academic Search is great, with so many really good features.

One thing I would like to see is the facility to export citations to reference management software such as Endnote or Refworks.

Thanks

Jean

Thursday, April 7, 2011 8:40 AM
  • I, surprisingly, found MS Academic Search while stumbled somehow senseless through the web. I try to find papers upon past colleagues work and found any information I expected to find!

My spontaneous suggestion is, that a time-bar would be nice, to select results in a certain amount of time. I think that is useful because sometimes you want to search for the newest papers, and sometimes not.

Go on with your great work! thumbs up!

Tuesday, April 12, 2011 2:22 PM
  • Great job!

My suggestions:

1. Gather more data or dig it more properly. I have ~100 citations on ADS, but it shows only 1 here. (Maybe you have not included the astronomical journals yet.)

2. in the paper list, like here: http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Detail?entitytype=2&searchtype=2&id=5176428

2.1 show less authors, with a link to "more", which you can choose to expand it;

2.2 with a No. for each item in the list;

2.3 DOI link in the list, which can reach the paper's homepage directly;

3. learn something from ADS, http://adsabs.harvard.edu/abstract_service.html That is a very useful and powerful tool.

Wish the microsoft academical search goes faster and more powerful.

Friday, April 22, 2011 1:22 AM
  •  

My suggestions:

1. It would be great to export citations to Microsoft Office products (specifically Microsoft Office Word).
      The citation is currently available in BibTex but there is no way to import citationsto Word easily.
    2. Users should be allowed to write comment, review, and maybe ask questions and discuss about each paper. Currently there is not community for this on the web and we have to email to the authors directly.

And thank you for the great service!

Friday, April 29, 2011 12:48 PM
  • Searching for a paper by titled "Wyner-Ziv coding of video with unsupervised motion vector learning" fails because I entered hyphen (-) instead of dash (–).

Using - and – is common in title of papers. The search engine should intelligently handle them (a simple solution is considering them as same).

Another problem was when I tried to create a new entry for this paper (because I thought there is no record for that). When I entered the URL of PDF for the paper (http://www.stanford.edu/~divad/publications/Varodayan_08ImageComm_WZVideoMotionLearning.pdf) the system told me there are already an entry for that URL. But it didn't provide any link to that.

I think it would be great to provide an option that redirects user to the paper which he/she entered it's URL of PDF.

Saturday, April 30, 2011 11:48 AM
  • hi, Charakterlos,  we do have "time duration" option in the "advanced search",  please give it a try and tell us how it works out for you. 

thanks. 

Academic Search Team

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:13 AM
  • hi, Nickaein, 

thanks for the feedback,  in my English keyboard,  i have "-" and "_" (underscore),  cold you tell us what kind of keyboard you can type different hyphen and dash?  but nevertheless, we will fix this and make our search function smarter. 

we will make a note on the 2nd issue and improve the system.

-xin

Academic Search Team 

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:17 AM
  • we will look into 1) and make it easier for user to do so.

right now user can use the "facebook comment" feature to add his/her comments. 

thanks.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:23 AM
  • 1. we're doing that right now,  it's an on-going process and takes time to negociate terms with various data source providers.

2. we are fixing these issues.

3. we will check it out in depth,  right now, we do have an "advanced search" feature in MAS, maybe it's not "advanced" enough :)

thanks.  

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:28 AM
  • Jean,  we're working on more convenient exporting features. thanks.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:28 AM
  • hi, Saud.

1. we provide sharing with facebook and twitter now.

2. we had discussed a "paper list" feature,  e.g. "the 20 papers a student must read in AI",  we will continue working in this direction.

3. better and more exporting support, yes.

4. we like pivot,  we're always look for ways to help user in visualization...  a location-pivot would be cool.

thanks!

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:32 AM
  • hi, Christopher,

our current solution is - we have a fixed list of "interests",  we will calculate the most likely interests and display them.  in the future we might extact such info directly from author's homepage.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:34 AM
  • could you tell use the conference name and homepage?
    Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:34 AM
  • in "citation tree", we have a "citation graph" in our March release,  you can check it out.

a tree view would be nice,  do you want the nodes of the tree be authors,  or papers? 

Sunday, May 1, 2011 1:35 AM
  • hi, Nickaein, 

thanks for the feedback,  in my English keyboard,  i have "-" and "_" (underscore),  cold you tell us what kind of keyboard you can type different hyphen and dash?  but nevertheless, we will fix this and make our search function smarter. 

we will make a note on the 2nd issue and improve the system.

-xin

Academic Search Team 

I don't know too! :)  That kind of hyphen is from title of paper. I copied and pasted the title from PDF.

Thanks for the consideration.

Sunday, May 1, 2011 12:59 PM
  • I need to follow a famous paper, and there are hundreds of citations. But not all of them are related to my problem.

I think maybe it can help me do the filtering if I can search in the citations of one target paper.

Thanks,

Ziqi

• Edited by zikki Friday, May 27, 2011 2:07 AM
    Friday, May 13, 2011 8:42 AM
  • hi Ziqi, we do have a "citation context" feature,  which shows the sentences before/after the citation, to help people better understand the relationship between these 2 papers.  is this what you want?
    Monday, May 23, 2011 5:54 AM
  • Hi Xin, it is not what I want. I want to search in one paper's citations.

And another question about "Related Publications": can I rank the related publiactions by their publish year?

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:13 AM
  • Hi,

In the case of Computer Science, a nice feature to add missing papers in

Microsoft Academic Search would be to provide the link to the paper in DBLP

(http://www.informatik.uni-trier.de/~ley/db/)

and  then everything could be extracted automatically by Microsoft Academic Search,

metadata and the link to the PDF of the paper and then download from the

corresponding digital library to extract the citations. Alternatively, allow to

provide a URL to a PDF version of the paper available in the Internet.

This would also allow to prevent spam attemps associating highly cited papers

to a different venue to increase the impact of the venue. This has happened recently

with http://academic.research.microsoft.com/Conference/1325/ma-international-symposium-on-mobile-agents

With the above approach the spammer would have not been allowed to add papers not listed in DBLP.

Best regards,

Ricardo

Thursday, June 23, 2011 5:27 PM