URGENT: Update your virus and spyware protection RRS feed

• Question

• My OneCare (Vista platform) constantly showsabove at risk status because it will not allow me to update the virus and spyware definition when I click on it.  Have tried fixes such as AntiMalware and CalcsDeleteDB to no avail.  I suspect it won’t auto-update because I only have access to dial-up Web access here in Samoa - might this be the problem?  Any suggestions other than uninstalling and reinstalling (did this twice before and got the green OK status, but only lasteda week until the next update was due).  Downloading takes 4 hours plus here and my ISP absolutely canes me for that amount of time online.  Any suggestions of a fix would be appreciated at OneCare customer support neverget back to me!!
    Tuesday, September 23, 2008 6:59 AM

Answers

All replies

• See this post for a discussion of this issue: http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1286736&SiteID=2

GreginMich

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 12:46 AM
  • Adrian Morgan,

Thank you for visiting the OneCare program forums.

In order for OneCare to have the latest anti-virus signatures, for cases where the time to download it takes too long,

please manually load the signatures from

http://microsoft.com/security/portal

There is a link for the Microsoft ForeFront signatures which are the same ones for OneCare signatures. Depending on

if your operating system is 32 bit or 64 bit, install the executable which should update the signatures for OneCare.

Re-run the scanner with the latest signatures.

I hope this helps,

Lori MS

Thursday, September 25, 2008 8:56 PM
  • Please note that the Forefront signatures are not always the same as OneCare's, but the signatures generally do work. Note also that this is an unsupported workaround that does not address the issue of why OneCare is not updating on its own.

-steve

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 3:56 PM