Adding PC to to active subscription failure RRS feed

• Question

• I purchased OneCare online which is supposed to allow the addition of up to 2 more PC's under the same subscription.  When installing OneCare on the 2nd PC, I'm not given the option of activating an already purchased subscription.  I either have to supply my credit card number again or enter a store bought key.  How do I activate the 2nd and 3rd PC's? 

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:04 AM

Answers

• If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

On the first PC, open OneCare and click Help and then About to see your Subscription ID. That is the LiveID to sign in with.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:56 AM

All replies

• If you have an active subscription, which is what was created when you activated on the first computer, you need to use the same LiveID on the subsequent activations. You can't use the same key twice. If you are arriving at a screen to purchase or provide a token, you are likely not using the same LiveID as the subscription ID.

On the first PC, open OneCare and click Help and then About to see your Subscription ID. That is the LiveID to sign in with.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:56 AM
  • I should add, that if you've already entered an incorrect LiveID you may need to use the tool in this post to allow you to clear the LiveID from the installed copy before activating with the correct LiveID - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2776450&SiteID=2

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 12:57 AM
  • Thank you -- that worked.  I'm a little confused because I could have sworn that I carefully used the new @live.com ID that I had just created; however, when I looked, it showed my old email address.  Curious . . . oh well it must be pilot error.  Sorry about that and thanks again.

(I guess I used up my one mistake for the year and it's only February!)

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:12 AM
  •  I hereby grant you the rights to make as many mistakes as needed. I surely make enough of them! Glad that it worked out for you.

-steve

Tuesday, February 5, 2008 1:16 AM