Can WHS Do The Following? RRS feed

• Question

• I am interested in building a Windows Home Server. I ordered the 120 day demo and I am looking at some basic hardware to build it. What I have is a series of questions and wonder if WHS can do the following.

1. Can WHS actually play music if I had an audio card and speakers attached to it? The optimal idea for me is to log in (web based?) and have the music play directly from the WHS box itself.

2. Can I send Video out directly to a HD TV or does it have to stream to another computer/Xbox?

3. Does WHS support RAID 1 (mirroring)? If not how does it preserve data from drive failure?

4. Almost forgot, is there some solution to sync'ing multiple Outlook calendars?

Thank you for any and all responses....

Stu

Friday, January 2, 2009 12:28 AM

Answers

• None of the above, I'm afraid, at least not as designed (headless network appliance). You can probably find a way to achieve your first two, assuming you build your own server, but it's unsupported and is likely to prove pretty frustrating. The recommended solution for recording and playback is Media Center, with WHS as additional storage. There's no email or PIM support, either. RAID is explicitly not a part of the Windows Home Server vision.

For further information about WHS you should look at the documentation available here. In particular take a look at the Drive Extender technical brief, which will explain how the data protection features work.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, January 2, 2009 1:14 AM