Do I need Email router CRM 2011 RRS feed

• Question

• If I install CRM 2011 outlook client for all CRM users do I still need the email router?   The reason I ask is that in the deployment scenario guide it indicates that I would not, but if I don't use the email router, how are system and workflow / process generated emails sent?   

Please advise.

Fred Zilz
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:11 PM

Answers

• Hi,

If you have emails that are sent out automatically typically from a queue then you will need the email router in place to pull emails from CRM and pass them over to exchange.

If you have no such automation you could rely on users opening outlook to make the exchange. Or the automatic emails can be sent from a CRM user that you know will have outlook open. I wouldn't recommend that though.

I would personally set up the email router.

My personal MSCRM website/blog at CRM Codex Twitter
    • Marked as answer by FredZilz Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:40 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:23 PM

All replies

• Hi,

If you have emails that are sent out automatically typically from a queue then you will need the email router in place to pull emails from CRM and pass them over to exchange.

If you have no such automation you could rely on users opening outlook to make the exchange. Or the automatic emails can be sent from a CRM user that you know will have outlook open. I wouldn't recommend that though.

I would personally set up the email router.

My personal MSCRM website/blog at CRM Codex Twitter
    • Marked as answer by FredZilz Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:40 PM
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thank you, I thought that was the case.  I had it setup with router for CRM 4.0, but have had trouble getting everything working correctly since going to CRM 2011.  I will keep working at it.
    Fred Zilz
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 5:40 PM
  • One other question.  If I have my users setup for incoming and outgoing through outlook, and they send an email through the browser version of CRM, Either from a different computer, or from a mobile app am I right that  the email will just sits in queue until they log onto their primary computer and open outlook?   There seems like there should be a better way to do this. 

If on the other hand I set them up using the email router then I either need a master account with rights for send/receive on behalf of all my users or I have to have the users maintain their credentials in CRM even though their user account is their domain account.  So, I don't understand why CRM does not pass their logon credentials to the router.   

Thanks in advance for your support

Fred Zilz
    Thursday, December 15, 2011 7:41 PM