Uk User Trying PocketSense RRS feed

• Question

• I just tried pocket sense. I have just wasted a couple of hours. Pocket Sense downloads ofx files at financial institutions in the USA only. In the UK our institutions rarely use the ofx most still use csv or qif format,  Those that do is not listed in the OFX file list. They are all US institutions. I got the script to update my stock price on test but when pressing get data it wants to download a bank statement first before the quote which I cannot do in the UK. Sometimes I wonder if here in the UK we are just overlooked. ... Trying to move to acceptance and beyond with difficulty
    Sunday, August 25, 2013 12:01 AM

All replies

• I just tried pocket sense. I have just wasted a couple of hours. Pocket Sense downloads ofx files at financial institutions in the USA only. In the UK our institutions rarely use the ofx most still use csv or qif format,  Those that do is not listed in the OFX file list. They are all US institutions. I got the script to update my stock price on test but when pressing get data it wants to download a bank statement first before the quote which I cannot do in the UK. Sometimes I wonder if here in the UK we are just overlooked. ... Trying to move to acceptance and beyond with difficulty

When I run Setup, I get a menu:

----------Main Menu-----------
    1. Add or Modify Account
    2. List Accounts
    3. Delete Account
    4. Encrypt file

6. Disable Stock/Fund Quotes
    7. Test Account
    8. About
    0. Save & Exit
    ------------------------------

Entering 2 should not be showing any accounts if you only want quotes (which must be listed in the sites.dat file). If you have an account that PocketSense is attempting to get an OFX file for, press 3 to delete the account.

An advantage to me is that I can read and even modify the PocketSense source. That will not be an advantage to most people.

Sunday, August 25, 2013 3:35 PM
  • Thanks thanks  so very much. Have managed to get my Marks & Spencer holding working and importing into money :-)Really appreciate this. The difficult one is my M&G Unit Trust I have set it up as per ticker number etc but it gets invalid quote response from Yahoo "skipping" . Checking shows I have the correct ticker. Any ideas???

Sunday, August 25, 2013 5:17 PM
  • Anyone else seen their Unit Trust updates stop on the 21st Aug? I'm in the UK and they were working after shares stopped but seem to have also stopped now.

Monday, August 26, 2013 7:04 AM
  • Thanks thanks  so very much. Have managed to get my Marks & Spencer holding working and importing into money :-)Really appreciate this. The difficult one is my M&G Unit Trust I have set it up as per ticker number etc but it gets invalid quote response from Yahoo "skipping" . Checking shows I have the correct ticker. Any ideas???

Oh Dear In addition to my M&G Recovery Unit Trust not working on the pocket sense python script. My M&S Share import beautifully into money into the "Ticker" Dummy account. You review the correct price but it does not update the portfolio value. What am I doing wrong??? Microsoft Money 2005 Windows 7
    Monday, August 26, 2013 8:03 AM
  • Anyone else seen their Unit Trust updates stop on the 21st Aug? I'm in the UK and they were working after shares stopped but seem to have also stopped now.

Same thing fot french mutual funds. Now, Money can't be connected. It seems the server is closed ...

Jacquouille la Fripouiile

Monday, August 26, 2013 8:43 AM
  • >Thanks thanks  so very much. Have managed to get my Marks & Spencer holding working and
    > importing into money :-)Really appreciate this. The difficult one is my M&G Unit Trust
    > I have set it up as per ticker number etc but it gets invalid quote response from Yahoo
    > "skipping" . Checking shows I have the correct ticker. Any ideas???

I see on http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/2013/01/jan-2013-version-of-scripts-available.html near the bottom, that there is a problem with UK shares. Robert on that site is the developer.

I plan to split this small section of the thread to something with a title of something like "UK user trying PocketSense for quotes" unless you prefer a different title. I am not doing it now because you would not be looking for it.

Being in the US, I don't have that problem. Quotes for things that I actually have come in via my broker OFX statement. I don't have a UK stock in the watch list right now. Maybe I should put MKS.L into the list, although I expect it not to work based on discussion there.

Monday, August 26, 2013 4:41 PM
  • Thanks for that Much appreciated. I await developments. Another thought I have had is if there could be some way to embed various " quote sources" in the MS Money program itself. Not being a programmer I wouldn't know where to begin but wouldn't be beyond some clever person would no doubt be able to achieve this. I just think its terrible of Microsoft to pull the plug.- very difficult when a piece of software with 7 years of data is made redundant.. By the way  "Uk User Trying Pocket Sense " is fine.  I am still working with Pocket Sense. It updates my Marks and Spencer when testing MKS.L but I just cant it even to find the quote for my Fund M&G Recovery GB0031959702.L
    Monday, August 26, 2013 5:11 PM
  • I think I have sussed some of the issue. As I said my MKS (Marks and Spencer) share update in Pocket Sense fine and imports ok into MS Money "ticker" with the new price. However it does not update the portfolio value or price in that. Could this be something to do with the date format.? The Pocket sense date in s in US format m/d/y I am in the UK and our date format is d/m/y? When it comes up in money "Statements to Read. the date under Last downloaded is 30/11/1999!!! I still cannot get my MG Recovery unit trust to update in Pocket sense yahoo cannot find it!!
    Tuesday, August 27, 2013 8:13 AM
  • GB0031959702.L is too long of a symbol for Money 2005. On http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ see s: (and m:):

1. Added options for Yahoo quotes:
      • m:value:  Currency multiplier option. Quote values will be adjusted (multiplied) by this (optional) value during download.<strong5Y0xwQWpJcFJ2V09kWnBLYUN6YVpOVjcwVUNRM1U3SkFsakptOWhVUytWL1dBcVg5S1krNGJCWXNSaHhSQlN6MXk2WmxYZ29LREQyMlRvQVIzczIvRll6MVp5b2lQWWNxbEpFb29TVTgwenJzSmswUHFMWlk3VUZYYVlpaXVBaUNwVThIai8yZkJRSGtZYmduOTNKQ3BseDRqSVhCZFk1alRBM3kwWkNTeWhhTUROZHV0UU8vcnliQVA2TkxLOWNoMm1BbWN4RjNVcGtUOGVyZWo2NkNvLzYwRVNBaTdtRmQ5czUrV3p3VStJWktid0dUZTg4azlsTjBNQ0ZxRloySHk4UWg2MDBQbnZSVTQxQ1FuUzRneHVkYUEwNTRtdm50ZGVWWE0zVm96UUpRdTdpQ0wxd2FRcUVwVHpiODNEbUVVS2VJNlVaaXRSNlAzRnpzcWNlZDE2elBveGViNUZmPC9Db29raWU PC9TZWN1cml0eUNvbnRleHRUb2tlbj4=; MS0=bc305ae3a6c94e83ada668ca9dc64dc8 __RequestVerificationToken=Kii0oN2W8Pq_YbXE-yfX3HoeMBYNKE4W9l9ufUsmbeQiSf2vf4RTMPHsgV-6NubFou7rdryLRlraC9CAUlhNq0rs0_A2V8tokypAagB_aAuNfhYJGcPqaZsCzioI0L8Kw0yOWiJFQC0F-smwhJadwOC21ao1RycPnZpAzbTA8jRIX5tc0
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:17 PM
  • GB0031959702.L is too long of a symbol for Money 2005. On http://pocketsense.blogspot.com/ see s: (and m:):

1. Added options for Yahoo quotes:
      • m:value:  Currency multiplier option. Quote values will be adjusted (multiplied) by this (optional) value during download.
      • s:value: User defined symbol to send to Money (rather than Yahoo ticker symbol).  
        • ExampleBP.L  m:0.01  s:MyBP
        • Multiply quotes received for BP.L by 0.01 (i.e, convert from pence to pounds), before sending the results to Money.
        • Pass quote to Money with symbol=MyBP (rather than BP.L).  The Yahoo quote will be for ticker = BP.L, but Money will see it as ticker=MyBP.
    Wednesday, August 28, 2013 2:18 PM
  • We are getting there! The Marks and Spencer quote when imported into "Ticker" shows a zero quantity for shares. It doesn't update the Portfolio value. So I did the amendments as required to SITE.DAT. Still the same result. Imports okay but no portfolio  update. So I backed up my money file and imported the value into the actual portfolio and deleted "ticker" 

A windows comes up in money thus

The position reported on your 30/11/1999 statement do not match the positions in  your money account

Do you want Money to update your account to match your statement?

. Yes Update my positions as listed below ( Note these adjustments may affect your tax planning

No  Do not update my account I will make the necessary changes myself

Of you select Yes.  It deletes your holding to zero BUT UPDATES THE PRICE. Just delete the adjustment hey presto job done. !!!

Therefore there should be a way of putting the number of shares held in the download  thus ending the need to delete the adjustment.

On other point of my M&G "GB0031959702.L is too long of a symbol for Money 2005. " This ticker has been used since my holding in 2004 and auto downloaded until mid August. I had no problems with this. Is this due to UK version of Money 2005. The problem with this is on Pocket Sense Yahoo cannot even find the ticker  but it is there on the yahoo website

A BIG THANKS FOR ALL YOU HELP :-)

Friday, August 30, 2013 12:08 PM
  • The links I am going to point you is not PocketSense specific but they will give some background on the issue you observed

Saturday, August 31, 2013 9:58 PM
  • You may want to take a look at the latest Beta version of PocketSense.  It was "released" yesterday for testing, and can be downloaded from the comments / blog site.
    Wednesday, September 4, 2013 9:52 PM