FIRST EXECUTION OF BACKUP MAKES MANY CHANGES! RRS feed

• Question

• When executing the Backup feature for the first time on my HP laptop running Vista Home Premium edition, it caused all kinds of havoc:

Changed my IE Explorer to a AOL website instead of my ISP, changed my wallpaper, removed my bookmarks, etc.

Lost my printer (Lexmark 8350.  Lost my Quicken files.  Lost my Microsoft Office documents (word, excel).  Items on my desktop.  That is all that I have discovered so far, lord knows what else is missing.

Has anyone else experienced this severe problem and do you know how I can recover from this?  Bless you, if you can! 

Thanks.

Bob

Thursday, February 14, 2008 5:52 PM

Answers

• What you are describing is that you logged onto Windows and it used a default User Profile instead of you own profile.

When backup ran, were you logged on? Did this happen after rebooting? Have you since rebooted again?

Do you provide a UserID and Password when Windows starts?

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:39 PM

All replies

• What you are describing is that you logged onto Windows and it used a default User Profile instead of you own profile.

When backup ran, were you logged on? Did this happen after rebooting? Have you since rebooted again?

Do you provide a UserID and Password when Windows starts?

-steve

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:39 PM
  • Steve,

Rebooting did clear up the problem!  All my files are now back and everything is as it was prior to the backup.

Thanks for the help.

Bob

Friday, February 15, 2008 7:27 PM
  • Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Glad that all is okay now.

-steve

Saturday, February 16, 2008 2:23 AM