none
Date and Time Stamp appropriate to location

Question

• Good Morning Suggestions and Feedback to the Forums Team,

I think it would be nice for the time stamp of replies to be associated with me. It seems like it is off sometimes 5 hours and sometimes 16 hours. Is there a way it can be related to where a user is logged in? It makes sense to me when I am reviewing threads, I can look at a timestamp and know where I was when I replied to a thread and can determine if I need to look in my smartphone for my notes or my work computer or my home computer. It is difficult when the date/time stamp is for someone else. Makes it hard to know where to look for my notes.

The first 24 hours are not so bad because it says just how long ago it occurred but once you pass 24 hours what time zone is used? I was just looking at a thread I responded to yesterday and glanced at the time stamp and it told me I responded at 12:45 AM. Of course I was asleep in bed at that time.

I guess it just doesn't make since to me to have it if it doesn't correlate to my life.

Can it correlate to my life? Perhaps if you cannot make it relate to users directly you can put a note by the time that shows if it is based on CUT-11 or IDLW.

Thank you for reading my rant.

Chris Ward

Wednesday, July 25, 2012 1:57 PM

Answers

• So I am guessing that nothing will be done with this to maybe improve the users experience in the Forums?

Chris Ward

• Marked as answer by KCDW Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:54 PM

All replies

• I think the timestamps are Greenwich Mean Time

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Monday, July 30, 2012 11:42 PM
  • I thought they already were relative to your local time zone--as long as you have it in your profile.

Note, this post was at 7:33 PM CDT.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:32 AM
  • I don't think so. I just looked through some old replies of mine and no way I was up at those times offset to MDT

Post at 6:40 PM MDT

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.

Tuesday, July 31, 2012 12:39 AM
  • Yes Dave, you seem to be right.

I see that my post is precisely 6 hours different, the offset for CDT from UPT, GMT, or Zulu time.

A minute is within the precision of my clock, the internet and my editing.

Wednesday, August 1, 2012 11:15 PM
  • Good to confirm this. I always meant to do as you did and then forgot. :)

Microsoft MVP [Windows]

Thursday, August 2, 2012 12:37 AM
  • So I am guessing that nothing will be done with this to maybe improve the users experience in the Forums?

Chris Ward

• Marked as answer by KCDW Thursday, August 30, 2012 9:33 PM
    Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:54 PM
  • If you're lucky, someone in the know will register a bug about this (perhaps someone already has, I've seen some posts about this before.)

Then you'll have to wait for a year or two for someone to implement this.

My theory is that they have tons of bugs like this registered, but they're too busy fixing stability and branding issues (that are a priority) all the time, that the usability problems get pushed back over and over again. (Too bad they didn't get it right the first time.) (My favorite is the non fixed width code block font. I've NEVER seen anyone code in any other than a fixed width font. Yet the code blocks have been like this for YEARS... I've never seen any official comment on this. The fact that the solution is a one-liner in a css file makes this one a classic.)

Thursday, August 23, 2012 9:18 AM