Why won't XP update? RRS feed

• Question

•  

OK, I ran the validation tool, it found OEM software for Office 2003 - so I uninstalled it.

I rebooted.  I validated XP with Office removed.

I downloaded the 25 updates I need.

I told the CPU to install, it failed.

Repeated above as instructed.

Same outcome.

NOW - WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO TO UPDATE XP?  THANKS in advance:

List of uninstalled files and validation status follow

INSTALLATION FAILURE

Security Update for Windows XP (KB931784)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB930178)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB931261)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB932168)

Update for Windows XP (KB930916)

Security Update for CAPICOM (KB931906)

Update for Windows XP (KB927891)

Cumulative Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB929123)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB935840)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB935839)

Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 1.1 Service Pack 1 (KB928366)

Update for Windows XP (KB936357)

Update for Windows XP (KB938828)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB921503)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938829)

Security Update for Windows Media Player 10 for Windows XP (KB936782)

Security Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 (KB936181)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB938127)

Update for Windows XP (KB933360)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB936021)

Security Update for Windows XP (KB933729)

Security Update for Outlook Express for Windows XP (KB941202)

Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool - October 2007 (KB890830)

Windows Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP

Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 6 for Windows XP (KB939653)

VALIDATION STATUS

Diagnostic Report (1.7.0062.0):

-----------------------------------------

WGA Data-->

Validation Status: Genuine

Validation Code: 0

Online Validation Code: N/A

Cached Validation Code: N/A

Windows Product Key: *****-*****-2CXKV-GMP22-HF2BQ

Windows Product Key Hash: 25dG7mX6zCS/Ri0MYOSCvb3ct0w=

Windows Product ID: 76477-OEM-2111907-00101

Windows Product ID Type: 2

Windows License Type: OEM SLP

Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom

CSVLK Server: N/A

CSVLK PID: N/A

ID: {53D2024C-8D3A-49D7-AF58-7707539E460F}(3)

Is Admin: Yes

TestCab: 0x0

WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.59.1

Signed By: Microsoft

Product Name: N/A

Architecture: N/A

Build lab: N/A

TTS Error: N/A

Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1

Resolution Status: N/A

Vista BRT Data-->

Grace Flag: N/A

Commit: N/A

Reboot Flag: N/A

ThreatID(s): N/A

Wgaer.exe Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Wgaer.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

Notifications Data-->

Cached Result: N/A

File Exists: No

Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->

Office Status: 109 N/A

OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.21.0

Signed By: Microsoft

Office Diagnostics: B4D0AA8B-531-645_B4D0AA8B-531-645

Browser Data-->

Proxy settings: N/A

User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Win32)

Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe

Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt

Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled

Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed

Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled

Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled

Active scripting: Allowed

Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->

Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{53D2024C-8D3A-49D7-AF58-7707539E460F}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0062.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010300.2.0.hom</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-HF2BQ</PKey><PID>76477-OEM-2111907-00101</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1804805198-3766073555-1909280530</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Model>Presario C300 (RH210UA#ABA) </Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Hewlett-Packard</Manufacturer><Version>F.05</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20060814000000.000000+000</Date><SLPBIOS>Compaq,Hewlett,Hewlett,Compaq</SLPBIOS></BIOS><HWID>072738CF0184405F</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Mountain Standard Time(GMT-07:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData> <Software><Office><Result>109</Result><Products/></Office></Software></GenuineResults>

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:09 PM

Answers

• Victim,

Curious previously you had a block VLK for the operating system? Did you reinstall a new OS? Also what error codes are you receiving from windows update? 

Should the problem which you are experiencing reside with Windows Updates it would fall outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. Should you experience problems while updating Windows please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page. Here you will find assistance in solving the Windows Updates difficulties.  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are located here:  http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us which may address questions you have.  Also you may visit the Windows Update Solution Center located here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 .

Another alternative site is the Microsoft Product Communities located @:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/products/default.mspx .  

Next please locate a Community for a Microsoft Product or Technology which you require assistance. Example, Windows XP is located in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Should you need XP assistance please double click on the above link and you will find a wealth of information.

You may also visit the Windows Expert zone newsgroup forum and post Windows Update questions for further assistance. The Expert zone forum can be visited here:   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:48 PM

All replies

• Victim,

Curious previously you had a block VLK for the operating system? Did you reinstall a new OS? Also what error codes are you receiving from windows update? 

Should the problem which you are experiencing reside with Windows Updates it would fall outside the scope of the Genuine Advantage forum. In an attempt to assist I would like to provide some information which may help. Should you experience problems while updating Windows please follow the Help and Support links on the Windows Updates page. Here you will find assistance in solving the Windows Updates difficulties.  Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) are located here:  http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us which may address questions you have.  Also you may visit the Windows Update Solution Center located here:  http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527 .

Another alternative site is the Microsoft Product Communities located @:  http://www.microsoft.com/communities/products/default.mspx .  

Next please locate a Community for a Microsoft Product or Technology which you require assistance. Example, Windows XP is located in the lower right hand corner of the screen. Should you need XP assistance please double click on the above link and you will find a wealth of information.

You may also visit the Windows Expert zone newsgroup forum and post Windows Update questions for further assistance. The Expert zone forum can be visited here:   http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone/newsgroups/reader.mspx?dg=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Stephen Holm, MS

Thursday, November 1, 2007 4:48 PM
  • Stephen;

Thanks for the reply and the suggestions on how to solve the XP update problem.  I hope to find the time to do that tonight.  Just a comment regarding Microsoft updates in general "it really shouldn't have to be this hard".

To answer the first question embedded in your reply:  This time sink began as an attempt to update XP.  Auto updates repeatedly hung up (no info offered - just hung - and left on auto, it built a long log file of identical cryptic failure notes).  When I could spare the time, I tried to update it manually, and got the same outcome.  I got into the forums trying to find a solution.  The diagnostics link you were kind enough to send me helped me identify the cause of the problem as being due to Office 2003not XP, the OS.  Specifically, a really high quality OEM copy bought on eBay had since been identified as having a now invalid key code.  The XP update program was engineered to fail when another invalid MS product was found.  I don't have to tell you it could have been coded differently - more customer friendly. It also could have been coded to send an error code in plainspeak, insted of just hanging. 

Anyhos, I uninstalled Office, rechecked that I had successfully validated XP, and set out to do what I wanted to do in the first place, which was to download the XP security updates.  But, I found that while the the update files would download, they wouldn't install.  I did not see an error code.  Just a report that of 25 files, 0 were intalled succesfully. (I guess I might have missed it, so will have to try a third time, and look for an error code - or find the logfile and see if there is an error code there).  And so I reran your diagnostic link (again, thank you).  That brings us to my posting here.

One more general comment - Microsoft really ought to pursue eBay and the vendors for whom they abet fraud.  By targeting us, the end users, MS only contributes to its negative image.  And, a final comment - if Microsoft didn't market its products with a bunch of price strata, people wouldn't be shopping on eBay to get a fair price.  I paid $170 for my learning experience with Office 2003 OEM.

Anyhow, Stephen, I'm very grateful for the help. I'll try to find the time really soon.

"vic"

Thursday, November 1, 2007 5:38 PM
  • -continued-

Stephen;

I ran update again, no error code showed.   I tried it with/without Spybot blocking. Then, I looked in the wupdate.log and found the code 0X80240020.  I looked around in the community and found pointers to all sorts of compass directions.  Although I have been the only user on this laptop since I got it from HP, I gather one avenue to try is to log in as the Admin of Superuser or whatever.  I'll follow up on your suggestions right after dinner.

Thanks again, "vic"

Thursday, November 1, 2007 7:32 PM
  • Stephen;

This is to close out the string - as far as I am concerned.

I went to XP Update help, as you sugested.  There, the easiest fix proved to be to seek online/email help.

I received instructions containing Registry changes that were needed.

On installing the changes and reboooting, Update was fixed.

Thanks for your help

"vic"

Friday, November 2, 2007 3:09 PM
  • Vic,

Thank you for touching back with us. I am glad you were able to resolve the problem. Hope you understand this particular forum resolves WGA problems. We do try and direct all our customers in the right direction should questions fall outside the scope of this forum. Vic have a great weekend and if you need assistance with WGA please post back and we will do our best to provide you with an answer.

regards,

Stephen Holm, MS

Friday, November 2, 2007 5:42 PM