none
How can one move or migrate backup files? RRS feed

• Question

• I have issues with WHS machine. Started with error message on startup that one or more services could not be started. Once that started I couldn't access the WHS console from the network but could on from the machine itself. Not I can't even start the console from the server itself. I need files that are in the backups. I believe the issue is with the hardware. I plan to reinstall WHS on another machine, how can I move the backup files to the new machine and access them in a normal fashion from the WHS console? Thanks, Karl
    Karl H.
    • Edited by Karlav Friday, January 27, 2012 3:41 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 3:36 AM

All replies

• Start on page 24 of the below download.

http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?DisplayLang=en&id=10788

Karlav> wrote in messagenews:bf7e604f-8d62-4e40-8d4e-1c8988540800@communitybridge.codeplex.com...>

I have issues with WHS machine. Started with error message on startup thatone or more services could not be started. Once that started I couldn'taccess the WHS console from the network but could on from the machineitself. Not I can't even start the console from the server itself. I needfiles that are in the backups. I believe the issue is with the hardware. Iplan to reinstall WHS on another machine, how can I move the backup files tothe new machine and access them in a normal fashion from the WHS console?Thanks, Karl>> --> Karl H.>

BullDawg
    • Edited by BullDawg Friday, January 27, 2012 10:53 AM
    Friday, January 27, 2012 10:47 AM
  • Thanks. I saw a link to this file somewhere else but it didn't work. Last winter when I copied files from an earlier install to the current installation they didn't show up. All the computer names were the same on the original install and the current. Perhaps I did something wrong with that re-install last winter. It worked fine for several months and then it went haywire. I guess I will try again to migrate those files if I can't get the console started. Thanks for the info.
    Karl H.
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 4:35 AM
  • This is one step often overlooked by many.

"Prior to restoring a backup database, you need to delete the existing backup database from the home server. Currently, there is not an option to merge backup databases into a single database."

So, once you set up the new server, follow the steps on page 25 to delete the backup database.  Then restore the database from the external drive.  Do all of this before rerunning the Connector software or Discovery.exe on the clients.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust

Thanks. I saw a link to this file somewhere else but it didn't work. Last winter when I copied files from an earlier install to the current installation they didn't show up. All the computer names were the same on the original install and the current. Perhaps I did something wrong with that re-install last winter. It worked fine for several months and then it went haywire. I guess I will try again to migrate those files if I can't get the console started. Thanks for the info.

Karl H.

BullDawg
    Sunday, January 29, 2012 5:09 AM