none
MCITP SharePoint 2010 Administrator 70-668 RRS feed

• Question

• Dear all,

I recently completed the 70-667 exam (MCTS: SharePoint 2010 Configuration) and would like to take the 70-668 exam as well.

However, there is very little material available for specific exam preparation. Currently I am using the following materials:

- MCTS Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Configuration (Book, Author: Pyles, James)

- Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Administrator's Companion (Book, Authors: English, Alderman , Ferraz)

- Technet Library: SharePoint Server 2010

However, it would be nice to have material that is targeted directly at the MCITP (just the same way as Pyles' book was targeted towards the MCTS exam). Do you know about any material?

I know, there is the upcoming book "Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Administration: Real World Skills for MCITP Certification and Beyond", but this will be released only later in April - and amazon states delivery times until mid of June.

Maybe there is someone who already passed the 70-668 exam and can tell what material he/she used?

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Martin W. Angler, MCTS

Blog angler.wordpress.com
    Twitter: Follow me on twitter
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 12:32 PM

Answers

• Hi, Martin.

Almost all of the time, the best study materials for any Microsoft certification exam is the help files and documentation published by Microsoft. Most of the content for the study guides comes right out of the documentation because most (not all) of the questions are based on the documentation. Seriously, if you were going to write an exam, what would serve as your base for the exam questions?

If I was going to study for the 70-668 exam, I would start here and dive in: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428287.aspx

I would print off the "Skills Being Measured" from here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-668#tab2

I would need to start with the SharePoint Foundation (because I am not a SP expert!) and then step into the SharePoint 2010 materials listed there. It appears there is technical articles as well as downloadable documentation for the SP 2010 product.

I would map the measurables on the exam description page to the documentation while working with the product.

It seems a lot of people wait for their ulitimate study guide book to come out instead of just reading the documentation. Why put yourself at the mercy of a book author when most of the information is right there in the documentation? When I passed my first few exams 13 years ago, I always waited for a study book, only to find that they were all short of what I needed. Almost 30 passed exams later, it's all I use.

The only real problem is when Microsoft changes the exam content without changing the published exam outline, like they apparently did for the Windows Server 2008 exams. These exams were just updated last fall to include Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 topics; however, the exam outlines were left untouched - still displaying Windows 2008 RTM and Vista exam topics. The study books were also rendered mostly useless. NOTE: Maybe the W2k8R2 exam descriptions are fixed now.

Good luck on your certification goals, Martin!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:04 PM
    Answerer
  • Hi Martin,

very good material is official MS material for course 10231A (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Course.aspx?ID=10231A&Locale=en-us), but it is accessible only for course attendants and MCT.

Rado

Radoslav Sopon
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi Martin,

very good material is official MS material for course 10231A (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/Course.aspx?ID=10231A&Locale=en-us), but it is accessible only for course attendants and MCT.

Rado

Radoslav Sopon
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 2:42 PM
  • Hi, Martin.

Almost all of the time, the best study materials for any Microsoft certification exam is the help files and documentation published by Microsoft. Most of the content for the study guides comes right out of the documentation because most (not all) of the questions are based on the documentation. Seriously, if you were going to write an exam, what would serve as your base for the exam questions?

If I was going to study for the 70-668 exam, I would start here and dive in: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee428287.aspx

I would print off the "Skills Being Measured" from here: http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-668#tab2

I would need to start with the SharePoint Foundation (because I am not a SP expert!) and then step into the SharePoint 2010 materials listed there. It appears there is technical articles as well as downloadable documentation for the SP 2010 product.

I would map the measurables on the exam description page to the documentation while working with the product.

It seems a lot of people wait for their ulitimate study guide book to come out instead of just reading the documentation. Why put yourself at the mercy of a book author when most of the information is right there in the documentation? When I passed my first few exams 13 years ago, I always waited for a study book, only to find that they were all short of what I needed. Almost 30 passed exams later, it's all I use.

The only real problem is when Microsoft changes the exam content without changing the published exam outline, like they apparently did for the Windows Server 2008 exams. These exams were just updated last fall to include Windows 2008 R2 and Windows 7 topics; however, the exam outlines were left untouched - still displaying Windows 2008 RTM and Vista exam topics. The study books were also rendered mostly useless. NOTE: Maybe the W2k8R2 exam descriptions are fixed now.

Good luck on your certification goals, Martin!

Best wishes, Davin Mickelson
    Tuesday, April 5, 2011 5:04 PM
    Answerer