Cannot install Home Server Connector Software RRS feed

• Question

• Installed WHS Connector software on XP machine as the first client in the network using the CD that came with system (HP MediaSmart). When I installed the Connector software on a Vista machine, there were numerous errors ... one of which indicated a mismatch between client and server software and a recommendation to install the latest client from the WHS machine.

When I attempt to install the Connector software on a Vista machine, from the followng network location:

\\hpserver\software\Home Server Connector Software

I receive the following error:

The specified account does not exist.

When I install the Connector software on a different Vista machine, it works fine.

Any suggestions?

Monday, March 10, 2008 2:08 AM

Answers

• Resolved by copying the installation directory from the WHS server to the Vista machine and running SETUP.EXE locally from the Vista machine.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:36 AM

All replies

• Can you confirm that the username of the user account that you are using on this particular Vista machine exists on the Windows Home Server?
    Monday, March 10, 2008 4:07 AM
  • Also, the warning (about the version mismatch) is telling you the right way to install the Connector:
    Always install the newest version, located in \\server\software\home server connector software.  The version that's on the CD is now quite old...

Monday, March 10, 2008 4:31 AM
  •  

Confirmed. I mapped a drive using an account/password combination that exists on WHS. Just to be sure, I un-mapped the drive, and mapped a drive using a different account/password combination that exists on WHS. Still receive the same error.

I can browse the WHS shares just fine. I can read and write to the shares just fine. And I can launch the Connector Software fine from WHS. But a moment after launching the setup program, I receive the message "The specified account does not exist". I'm not sure, but I don't even believe that it is getting to the MSI program.

Monday, March 10, 2008 10:49 AM
  • Are you running Setup.exe (correct), or WHSConnector.msi?

Monday, March 10, 2008 12:17 PM
  • I am running Setup.exe

Monday, March 10, 2008 1:23 PM
  • Resolved by copying the installation directory from the WHS server to the Vista machine and running SETUP.EXE locally from the Vista machine.

Tuesday, March 11, 2008 12:36 AM