Help Needed With A Failing To Boot WHS V1 RRS feed

• Question

• Hello all,
    Running a home built WHS V1 server for the last 18 months or so pretty solidly. It's not been working for the last month. Looking for some help and/or advice.

On April 11th something happened to crash it, it was on but screen wouldn't turn on, no hard drive activity light etc. Had to hard power it off.

When I went to reboot it it would start to load, sometimes reaching the log on screen, but then it would crash out again with the blank screen/unresponsiveness.

I tried to boot in safe mode, same results. Then I tried safe mode with command prompt, got it, called for a chkdsk.

After chkdsk still wouldn't boot up, then just randomly one time it made it and booted up and ran for about a day until I believe it rebooted itself with windows updates. Then we were back to the same issue where probably 1 out of 8 attempts it would boot completely.

I set it aside until Friday night when I messed with it again. After about the fifth try I got it to fully boot up, every time it makes it all the way it says WHS has recovered from a serious error and then pops up a MS website about blue screen crash caused by driver or hardware failure.

Nothing shows up in the hardware manager, no chkdsk errors, no WHS console errors other than overdue backups. No hardware changes were made. It's an AMD64 3200+, 2gb ram, 300gb IDE boot drive, 500GB IDE, 1TB SATA and 2 2TB sata HD's in the storage pool. It has an old video card, 2 sata cards.

It's been up since Friday night, I turned automatic updates off and tried to do backups. One machine completed backup but none of the others will, WHS backup service crashes about half way through.

The drive pool is up and running, I have been syncing files up to another backup drive with no issues.

I am looking for any thoughts anyone had about how to return this thing to stability, I have 6 machine backups on there that I would lose if I wipe it or replace it, all files on the storage pool are mirrored on other machines.

What suggestions do you all have?
    I have been considering reinstalling over the top, but worry will I lose my backups.
    Does WHS have the system file checker?
    Worse comes to worse I guess I can wipe, I might even build it with new hardware.

Here are some links to my log files if anyone has the time/interest to look at them.

Thanks in advance!
    Monday, May 14, 2012 1:58 AM

All replies

• Have you checked Event Viewer?

From the WHS desktop.  Start/Programs/Administrative Tools/Event Viewer. The three areas to look are System, HomeServer, and Application.  Once you find an error in the right pane, double click on it for more info.

BullDawg
    In God We Trust
    :
    :
    : Running a home built WHS V1 server for the last 18 months or so pretty solidly. It's not been working for the last month. Looking for some help and/or advice.
    :
    :
    : On April 11th something happened to crash it, it was on but screen wouldn't turn on, no hard drive activity light etc. Had to hard power it off.
    :
    :
    : When I went to reboot it it would start to load, sometimes reaching the log on screen, but then it would crash out again with the blank screen/unresponsiveness.
    :
    :
    : I tried to boot in safe mode, same results. Then I tried safe mode with command prompt, got it, called for a chkdsk.
    :
    :
    : After chkdsk still wouldn't boot up, then just randomly one time it made it and booted up and ran for about a day until I believe it rebooted itself with windows updates. Then we were back to the same issue where probably 1 out of 8 attempts it would boot completely.
    :
    :
    : I set it aside until Friday night when I messed with it again. After about the fifth try I got it to fully boot up, every time it makes it all the way it says WHS has recovered from a serious error and then pops up a MS website about blue screen crash caused by driver or hardware failure.
    :
    :
    : Nothing shows up in the hardware manager, no chkdsk errors, no WHS console errors other than overdue backups. No hardware changes were made. It's an AMD64 3200+, 2gb ram, 300gb IDE boot drive, 500GB IDE, 1TB SATA and 2 2TB sata HD's in the storage pool. It has an old video card, 2 sata cards.
    :
    :
    : It's been up since Friday night, I turned automatic updates off and tried to do backups. One machine completed backup but none of the others will, WHS backup service crashes about half way through.
    :
    :
    : The drive pool is up and running, I have been syncing files up to another backup drive with no issues.
    :
    :
    : I am looking for any thoughts anyone had about how to return this thing to stability, I have 6 machine backups on there that I would lose if I wipe it or replace it, all files on the storage pool are mirrored on other machines.
    :
    :
    : What suggestions do you all have?
    :
    : I have been considering reinstalling over the top, but worry will I lose my backups.
    :
    : Does WHS have the system file checker?
    :
    : Worse comes to worse I guess I can wipe, I might even build it with new hardware.
    :
    :
    : Here are some links to my log files if anyone has the time/interest to look at them.
    :
    :
    : Thanks in advance!
    :
    : https://www.dropbox.com/s/v1guma5nyd0jm40/eventlog.evt
    :
    : https://www.dropbox.com/s/wf3p9xp9i7ax3cr/system.evt
    :
    : https://www.dropbox.com/s/nc4mic30vcnb6vx/security.evt
    :
    : https://www.dropbox.com/s/ukrybj6vippe4ia/homeserver.evt
    :

BullDawg
    Monday, May 14, 2012 2:16 AM
  • Set it to leave the blue screen up (so you can see the exact STOP code) rather than automatically rebooting. What you describe, however, makes me think some component on the motherboard is failing.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)

Monday, May 14, 2012 3:04 AM
  • BullDawg I have my log files attached at the bottom from the event viewer. I have some errors but I can't really reason them out to be related to what I have going on, nor do the freeze up times really seem to match.

Thank you for your reply none the less!

• Edited by wonderrx Monday, May 14, 2012 11:34 AM
    Monday, May 14, 2012 11:34 AM
  • Set it to leave the blue screen up (so you can see the exact STOP code) rather than automatically rebooting. What you describe, however, makes me think some component on the motherboard is failing.

Thanks Ken!

How do you set it to leave the blue screen up? However it's not automatically rebooting when it does the main freeze, actually I am not sure that it has boot looped now that I think about it. It will crash where I have to hold in the power button to kill it.

Monday, May 14, 2012 11:35 AM
  • ... It will crash where I have to hold in the power button to kill it.

So it's not blue screening? Your original post mentioned a blue screen.

For all intents and purposes, though, you'r server is likely to be on it's last legs. I would suggest you test each disk individually in another computer: shut your server down, then remove disks one by one to connect to another computer and run chkdsk /r. If all disks test as healthy, your server's motherboard is failing. If a disk tests out as bad (and it would probably be the server's system disk, given what you've told us) there are other things worth trying.

Monday, May 14, 2012 11:44 PM
  • ... It will crash where I have to hold in the power button to kill it.

So it's not blue screening? Your original post mentioned a blue screen.

For all intents and purposes, though, you'r server is likely to be on it's last legs. I would suggest you test each disk individually in another computer: shut your server down, then remove disks one by one to connect to another computer and run chkdsk /r. If all disks test as healthy, your server's motherboard is failing. If a disk tests out as bad (and it would probably be the server's system disk, given what you've told us) there are other things worth trying.

Thanks again Ken, the error message on reboot says "recovered from a serious error" and then opens up an IE page that talks about blue screen, I've never caught it do something.

Thanks for the direction on chkdsk'ing like that, I'll give it a shot.

Tuesday, May 15, 2012 2:25 AM