Winss.exe Application Error RRS feed

• Question

•  

I am continually getting a "winss.exe" error message and nothing I have done seems to resolve the issue. I've completely uninstalled and installed a clean setup. I'm pretty got an editing my registry and have done that. I've removed a Trend Micro anti-virus program that has never had a problem working with One-care in the last few years I have had this after switching over from Norton. I'm at the point of bagging One Care and going another route now.

The error message is always the same. It reads:

The instruction at "0x3104a5b5" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read"

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program.

When I click either the OK or CANCEl button, nothing ever happens and the message window just closes with no further action. I have registry cleaning processing I run but they are manually controlled by me and only run when I want them to run to review errors found. Nothing ever comes up to help resolve this issue.

Any ideas before I give my money to another company.

Mack

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:19 AM

Answers

•  MackAtCypress wrote:

This forum is becoming as useless as the One Care product and their support. Most of us aren't idiots. Asking "have you contacted support each time an inquiry is posted serves no purpose.

This is a community forum. What that means is that OneCare users are helping other users.

If a problem has been encountered by someone else, and the solution is known, it can be shared here and save you from needing to open a support case.

If a problem has not been encountered before, you are unlikely to find a helpful answer or get a helpful answer in the forum and you really need to contact support. Yes, support will take you trough the basics - many steps that you may already have tried. Some problems are more difficult to diagnose.

Nobody called you an idiot or implied that you are. And, referring you to support is the appropriate response in many cases.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:55 PM

All replies

• It sure would seem to me that the engine is bumping into something - some sort of memory conflict. Have you contacted support?

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Thursday, February 21, 2008 1:46 AM
  • This forum is becoming as useless as the One Care product and their support. Most of us aren't idiots. Asking "have you contacted support each time an inquiry is posted serves no purpose.

Tuesday, February 26, 2008 10:36 PM
  •  MackAtCypress wrote:

This forum is becoming as useless as the One Care product and their support. Most of us aren't idiots. Asking "have you contacted support each time an inquiry is posted serves no purpose.

This is a community forum. What that means is that OneCare users are helping other users.

If a problem has been encountered by someone else, and the solution is known, it can be shared here and save you from needing to open a support case.

If a problem has not been encountered before, you are unlikely to find a helpful answer or get a helpful answer in the forum and you really need to contact support. Yes, support will take you trough the basics - many steps that you may already have tried. Some problems are more difficult to diagnose.

Nobody called you an idiot or implied that you are. And, referring you to support is the appropriate response in many cases.

-steve

Wednesday, February 27, 2008 4:55 PM