Still cannotregister RRS feed

• Question

• I have followed all help suggestions to install window live care.

I have downloaded the fix install patch but to no avail.

It will not get past te install page saying i have to register to continue, even if i am connected to the internet.

I tried the other downloads but notice that none of them are for Vista.

I'm running the latest version of Vista Home Premium and all updates are installed.

Am trying to instal Windows live one care 2.0 and am running out of ideas and am getting really annoyed.

Can anyone out there please help me?

Thanks

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 9:11 AM

Answers

• I finally got it installed without having to ring them!  Thanks for your help!

The answer was to run the application from the cd as administrator.  i viewed the setup application in explorer and right clicked onto it and selected "run as administrator".

Thanks for all your help.

I am very happy!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:37 AM

All replies

• At what point are you stuck? Is this happening when you click Subscribe from within OneCare and are asked to sign in?

Is Internet Explorer your default web browser? If not, make it the default until after you've activated.

In IE, Tools/Internet Options/Connections/LAN - make sure that "automatically detect" is not checked.

Try deleting your temporary Internet files and cookies in Internet Explorer.

Is any other security software still installed - that is, not removed? If so, remove it.

I'm not sure what other downloads you are referring to as there is only one download of OneCare.

You can contact support for more assistance, if needed - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

-steve

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 1:52 PM
  • I cannot conect to the internet at all.  I am having the problem as quoted in one of these pages...

"This tool is used to fix issues you might have while installing Windows Live OneCare. If your Windows Live OneCare application comes up with a red action item asking you to make sure you have internet connectivity and a button for ‘Complete Installation’ but the red action item remains even when you have internet connection, then running this tool may solve the issue."

This above is still my problem even though i have used the tool.

I then checked other solutions at the bottom of the page for help on this and there are a few suggestions to remove somethng like mxml or letters similar.  when i look at moe info on the replacement if i uninstall them, it does ot say the replacement i for Windows Vista.

i only have a new computer laptop made by toshiba and i dnt have any antivirus software as i was trying to use windows

live one care.

Thanks for your last response but i cannot get past the problem stated above to register. i notice that once i install the program i can connect to the internet but i cannot check emails, or browse web pages even though i am connected. i av to uninstall the prgram so i cn get online to lok for solutions,but i am nervous without any protection.

Thanks

Dave

Wednesday, June 25, 2008 8:00 PM
  • Hi, Dave.

Is it possible that there is still other security software installed on the PC that is conflicting with OneCare? From your description that it isn't just OneCare activation that is failing, but also the ability to even browse the web or use your email program when OneCare is installed, it sounds like a conflict. It may also be a problem with OneCare somehow preventing your PC from getting an IP address from your router.

How do you connect to the Internet? Are you using a router and cable/dsl modem or dial-up? If you are using a router, is the laptop connected to the router wirelessly? Have you tried connecting to the router with an Ethernet cable?

What was your previous security software?

Have you reviewed the basic installation troubleshooting here: 

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1588602&SiteID=2

You may want to contact support - 

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2421771&SiteID=2

(By email without OneCare installed, of course)

If you install OneCare, but then turn off the OneCare firewall can you then access your email and browse the Internet, by the way?

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 12:18 AM
  •  

Steve, thanks for your reply.  The only other security software is windows vista firewall and defender.  I do not, and have not, have any antivirus software at all.  The computer is new so never has had any.

I connect to the internet using a usb cable to a wireless 3G modem which plugs into a powerpoint and has two aerials for receiving data.

I am at work at the moment and will try to turn off one care firewall and see what happens.

In regards to the link:

http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=1588602&SiteID=2

I have been through it.

In regard to the MSXML subsystem both downloads do NOT mention compatability with Windows Vista which i have.

I will try to do as suggested tonight at home and post a response.

thanks again for your prompt reply

Thursday, June 26, 2008 3:43 AM
  • So, your PC is actually using a cellular modem to connect to the Internet. Does it use the carrier's software to manage the connection? If so, see if they have data compression enabled - or some sort of "speed boost" feature. When I was using the Cingular/AT&T connection software, there was an option to use a feature to make browsing faster. If so, turn it off and give it a shot.

It would seem that the OneCare firewall is blocking the software that you are using to connect over that USB cable to get your 3G connection networked. Try adding that program to the firewall allowed list.

-steve

Thursday, June 26, 2008 11:30 AM
  • Wow!

I've tried everything.

Telstra Bigpond Wireless Connection Modem Maxon Model BP3-EXT.   The software that come with it is from Telstra Bigpond and does not offer any option to "speed boost" or any thing near that.

I have tried all updates and dowmloads listed in the link you gace me.

I have tried turning off one care's firewall all together and still cannot connect.

This is starting to really infuriate me.  I have now tried for five days.

I think i will go out and buy Trend Antivirus. 

Please help!  I am loosing faith in Microsoft's products.  I thought i would buy it because it would be seemless with windows!

ARGH!

Thursday, June 26, 2008 7:03 PM
  •  

Dave, please send me an email at sboots@mvps.org with a subject line including "OneCare" (to get past my spam filtering) and in the message body, tell me what country you are in, your forum nickname, and paste this link http://forums.microsoft.com/WindowsOneCare/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=3541599&SiteID=2. I am not online 24x7, so you may be waiting for a reply, but I'll do my best to hook you up with support, which I think is your best option at this point.

-steve

Friday, June 27, 2008 12:23 AM
  • I finally got it installed without having to ring them!  Thanks for your help!

The answer was to run the application from the cd as administrator.  i viewed the setup application in explorer and right clicked onto it and selected "run as administrator".

Thanks for all your help.

I am very happy!

Sunday, June 29, 2008 8:37 AM