our live chat service says we need to white list their IP ranges.....how do we do this? RRS feed

• Question

• we have been using a live chat service for the last 2-3 years...never had a problem...then about 48 hours ago we can't log into our "dashboard" and we can't use the live chat feature on their site.  they said that i need to "verify that our IP ranges are white listed on your firewall".......below is their e-mail. 

"I would strongly suggest to verify that our IP ranges are white listed on your firewall with your IT team. I understand that you haven't changed your security settings, but maybe an automatic update, or a rule might have caused this.

As you have already noticed, people outside your network are able to use the chat, this also indicates that the issue lies within your networking settings.
    For your convenience, here are the IP ranges required for the service : 
    70.42.153.0 - 70.42.153.255
    199.187.116.0/22 (199.187.116.0-199.187.119.255)
    208.89.12.0/22 (208.89.12.0-208.89.15.255)"

how do i go about doing this?  is it something i need to change on live onecare?  i am so lost.....this company is usually great to work with but for some reason with this problem they are no help at all....i am about to cancel my service with them.....they said they could only help me if i was able to use their live chat service....but i can't log on.....and they will not give me a phone number to call.......any help would be great!!

does anyone happen to have a phone number to the live onecare help desk?

thanks again!

Tuesday, August 11, 2009 3:59 AM

Answers

• OneCare's firewall does not block or allow IP address ranges. OneCare allows and blocks programs.
    If you open the OneCare firewall settings -
    open OneCare, change settings, firewall, advanced - you can see programs that are blocked or allowed. You can change that here. Additionally, on the ports and protocols tab, you can add settings that the vendor of the chat program tells you may be needed to allow their program to work. However, the information you provided above mentions nothing about ports and protocols, only IP ranges. If your chat dashboard and program function in your web browser and the web browser is accessing the Internet fine, then the browser is being allowed through the firewall.
    if you want to confirm that it isn't the OneCare firewall, turn off the firewall temporarily via the Change Settings/Firewall tab. If the chat program now works, please contact the chat provider and/or OneCare support for help with configuring the ports and/or protocols and perhaps the program file needed to be allowed in the settings. I suspect, however, that turning off the firewall will not make a difference.

How to reach support (FAQ) - http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/onecareinstallandactivate/thread/30400b52-7f26-4ba0-bc18-17e305329d90

-steve

Microsoft MVP Windows Live / Windows Live OneCare, Live Mesh, & MS Security Essentials Forums Moderator
    Tuesday, August 11, 2009 12:01 PM