Search should not change the category automatically RRS feed

• General discussion

• Search should not change the category automatically. For example if I search from one category, the next search goes to all categories. Why do you suppose that I change my mind and suddenly want to search from all categories instead of the one that I selected?
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 1:41 PM

All replies

• It seems logical to me.

You go to a forum and do a search which doesn't find what you are looking for. So your next step is to extend the search over more forums.

It might well not be your logic (which is presumably that if the search didn't give any useful answers, you want to try a different search expression), but it does make sense.

Later: I was going to add that what we need is a dropdown giving us the chance to decide for ourselves. But then I saw there already is one (to the right of the magnifying glass) and it's pretty powerful.
    • Edited by Mike Walsh FIN Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:15 PM Later: added
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 4:15 PM
  • You understood my logic. But isn't the case usually or at least often, that people try several different search words before they extend their query?

Yes there is the combobox for categories, but I have already selected my category, you see? I don't want to broaden the search at all, in fact, because I want to search if the item is in this category or not.

Also though the combobox is quite powerful, it is full of text and it is not too easy to pinpoint what category I was searching through. Also if I want to do the normal several queries from this category, I would have to select this category several times, which is not handy. Instead there should be a checkbox that the user can click if he wants to widen his search to all categories. That would be the correct answer also democratically, because that way the most peoples would have to do only a small selection/click instead of many people having to repeatedly change the category back to what it was.
    • Edited by Silvercode Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:28 PM
    Thursday, November 6, 2008 5:27 PM
  • Search has been refactored in our next release.
    Matt Fraser, STO Forums Software Developer
    Monday, November 10, 2008 6:59 AM