Also got Windows not Genuine Error last night RRS feed

• Question

• I bought a new HP last November and recently upgraded it to a gaming pc.  I purchased a new case, power supply, motherboard, and vid cards.  I used the OEM sound card, cpu, RAM, disc drive, and hard drive.  I swung everything over in late January/early February.

Everything transferred over relatively easy and was working fine until last night when I got the error.  Like the others my background when black and I got the pop-up.

The problem is I tossed out my old case just last week (of course) that had the COA sticker on it.  I figured since I haven't had a problem in over a month I was in the clear and didn't want a skeleton piece of tin laying around.  I'm sure that's coming back to bite me right in the butt though.  Is there anything I can do? or am I basically screwed and forced to buy a new copy of Windows 7.  My brother does have a new copy of Windows 7 that is still in shrink wrap so I can use that key if need be.  Of course I'd have to buy it from him.  I wish I would've went and bought a gaming pc to start with........sigh. 

Brad

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:03 PM

Answers

• Basicly you have a new computer, the installation was locked to the old hardware and will not activate because of the drasticly changed configuration. The COA key would not have been legal and in your situation they would not have activated for you over the phone. Sorry but you need to purchase a new copy of windows.
    Download and run MGAdiag and paste the results in your thread go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 24, 2010 8:47 PM
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:14 PM
  • RaiRye wrote:
    > well just go with my first advice first, just coordinate with HP dont worry they
    > will help you. :)

No, they won't. He no longer has an HP PC.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/555375

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
    safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. ~Benjamin Franklin

Many people would rather die than think; in fact, most do. ~Bertrand Russell

The philosopher has never killed any priests, whereas the priest has
    killed a great many philosophers.
    ~ Denis Diderot
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:37 AM

All replies

• Basicly you have a new computer, the installation was locked to the old hardware and will not activate because of the drasticly changed configuration. The COA key would not have been legal and in your situation they would not have activated for you over the phone. Sorry but you need to purchase a new copy of windows.
    Download and run MGAdiag and paste the results in your thread go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:14 PM
  • hi there BigJ1975,

basically, you can ask HP for technical help regarding your lost COA. they can trace it according to the serial number and model number of your PC.  Since your PC is OEM you can regain its activation by coordinating with HP. otherwise you will have to buy a Retail version of windows 7 already.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:19 PM
  • What a pisser..........lol.  Why did it work for so long?  I'm guessing I'm going to have to reformat the hard drive?  Better get a few more memory sticks.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:19 PM
  • There is a 30 day grace period. ALso, when you purchase a new license, if you get full version and not an upgrade you can change the product key under system properties, no reinstall. Not designed to work that way with an upgrade key.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:28 PM
  • well just go with my first advice first, just coordinate with HP dont worry they will help you. :)
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:29 PM
  • I'll definitely try that RaiRye.  The only main component I changed was the motherboard.  I went from the cheap OEM miniboard to an ASUS.  Other than that all the main components (hard drive, cpu, etc.)are OEM.  I thought I was in the clear but I guess not.  Being I paid for an OEM copy of Windows 7, and I'm not using it on a totally different system, I would think it could be transferred.  I'll give HP a call as soon as I get home.  Hopefully not having the COA won't kill me.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:47 PM
  • actually sir we did have the same situation. when i upgraded something on my hp-compaq laptop the COA got damaged and scratched. I just called them and gave them the serial and part number.. 20 minutes i got my serial key and after 2 months a COA sticker arrived.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 3:55 PM
  • actually sir we did have the same situation. when i upgraded something on my hp-compaq laptop the COA got damaged and scratched. I just called them and gave them the serial and part number.. 20 minutes i got my serial key and after 2 months a COA sticker arrived.

Well it sounds promising.  I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.  I really do appreciate your help (that goes for everybody).  I wish you could send personal messages on this forum.  Make it easier to thank people personally.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:03 PM
  • its always a pleasure helping you sir. yes please do update me. if in case i will assist you again. and carl_oh as well we will do our best to assist you.
    Tuesday, March 23, 2010 4:08 PM
  • BigJ1975 wrote:
    > I bought a new HP last November and recently upgraded it to a gaming pc. I
    > purchased a new case, power supply, motherboard, and vid cards. I used the OEM
    > sound card, cpu, RAM, disc drive, and hard drive. I swung everything over in
    > late January/early February.
    >
    > Everything transferred over relatively easy and was working fine until last
    > night when I got the error. Like the others my background when black and I got
    > the pop-up.
    >
    > The problem is I tossed out my old case just last week (of course) that had the
    > COA sticker on it. I figured since I haven't had a problem in over a month I
    > was in the clear and didn't want a skeleton piece of tin laying around. I'm
    > sure that's coming back to bite me right in the butt though. Is there anything
    > I can do? or am I basically screwed and forced to buy a new copy of Windows 7.
    > My brother does have a new copy of Windows 7 that is still in shrink wrap so I
    > can use that key if need be. Of course I'd have to buy it from him. I wish I
    > would've went and bought a gaming pc to start with........sigh.
    >
    > Brad
    >

By changing the motherboard, you've rendered your OEM license invalid.
    An OEM license is *permanently* bound to the first computer, as
    defined by the motherboard in the case of BIOS-locked installation,
    which yours was, on which it is installed. It can _never_ be
    legitimately transfered to any other computer, under _any_ circumstances.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

~ Denis Diderot
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:36 AM
  • RaiRye wrote:
    > well just go with my first advice first, just coordinate with HP dont worry they
    > will help you. :)

No, they won't. He no longer has an HP PC.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

~ Denis Diderot
    Wednesday, March 24, 2010 1:37 AM