CRM 4.0 and SQL on the same 64 bit Server RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

Right now we're using CRM 3.0. We used to have the CRM SQL 2000 database on a different database, which later was moved because of performance issue to a SQL 2005 64-bit CRM database. Now CRM performance has been better after the SQL database migration.

Now we're looking to upgrade to CRM 4.0. We're thinking of putting the CRM server together with the 64-bit SQL server where CRM database is in.

I'm wondering if this will trigger any performance issue; will this be suggested or should we install CRM 4.0 separately from its database?

Please let me know, thanks in advanced for your help.
    Wednesday, January 13, 2010 10:13 PM

Answers

• This can definitely work, but varies a lot depending on the load, number of users, and database size.

Windows 64 bit has handle more than 4 GB much better, so if your box has enough memory, sql server is setup according to best practices with separate spindles for logs and data, then you should be ok.

My recommendation is to use perfmon and closely monitor resources on both boxes now to determine if anything is getting close to being a bottle neck.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:04 AM

All replies

• This can definitely work, but varies a lot depending on the load, number of users, and database size.

Windows 64 bit has handle more than 4 GB much better, so if your box has enough memory, sql server is setup according to best practices with separate spindles for logs and data, then you should be ok.

My recommendation is to use perfmon and closely monitor resources on both boxes now to determine if anything is getting close to being a bottle neck.
    Alex Fagundes - www.PowerObjects.com
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 2:04 AM
  • Thanks for your input in this Alex. I also found this on the CRM 4.0 prerequisite document:

Verify prerequisites
    Before you install Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server, review the server installations and note the following:
    •    Microsoft SQL Server can be, but is not required to be, installed on the same computer as Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server.
    Thursday, January 14, 2010 5:43 PM